My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ramp It Up!

Wow, we sure have been busy the last couple weeks. It seems the plans never end, but I can’t imagine life any other way. A couple highlights: Franz Ferdinand rocking out at First Avenue & volunteering at the PACER benefit where Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons performed. Frankie is suprisingly short, but he sure can still do the dance moves.

We’ve also been keeping busy in the kitchen trying out various ramp recipes. Are you familiar with ramps? They are a garlicky wild onion and one of the first signs of spring. They are easily used in many dishes instead of (or in addition to) garlic, onions and leeks. Although I bought mine at Mississippi Market, I know other co-ops have them too. I’m eager to see if the Mill City Farmers Market will be selling ramps at the opener this weekend. We’ll see…

Over the last week or so, we made quite a few meals with ramps as they were so easy to toss into a dish. They were great in breakfast burritos where I threw a couple of diced ramps in with the sautéing peppers. They also paired well with potatoes in a soup. My favorite meal we made would have to be pizza (I know, big surprise, I love pizza).

I made my standard pizza dough in the breadmaker and rolled it out into a circle. I spread a tiny bit of olive oil and ramp butter on the crust, topped that with mozzarella, sliced orange bell peppers, diced tomatoes and thinly sliced ramps. I baked the pizza for 10 minutes and sprinkled it with the ramp greens before serving. The ramps added the perfect spice level and did not over power the pizza at all.

Something else that kept me busy, and kept my muscles strong, was making a pound of ramp butter. After making this, I realized I definitely did NOT need a whole pound of ramp butter, but at least I can share with others. I got this idea from Serious Eats and quartered the recipe. I’d recommend cutting it down even more into eighths unless you have some great plans for your ramp butter. I've only used it on pizza and bread so far.

For other ramp recipes and ideas, visit my other blog, Bite of Minnesota, where you can find the recipes for both Spaghetti with Ramp Pesto & Potato Ramp Soup.

6 comments:

  1. The pizza looks amazing!
    And the ramp butter, how interesting! I will have to try that and am hoping to get to a farmer's market this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love ramps! Seriously, it borders on obsession -- we buy all the ramps we can find every spring and put them in everything we can think of. The pizza looks delicious.

    Our favorite ramp standby is simple -- an open-faced baguette sandwich with a little butter, thinly sliced ramps, brie and a drizzle of truffle oil. Toasted till the cheese is melty -- so good! (Not exactly healthy, what the butter, cheese AND oil, but still delicious.)

    We'll be at Mill City Saturday morning -- maybe we'll run into you at the ramp stand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me... I am going to try ramps! Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I never even thought about ramp butter until I saw it on Serious Eats with the super enticing picture.

    Laura - You know I'm trying that very, very soon - my gosh it sounds amazing!

    Steph - SWEET!! Tell me what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever had ramps . . . I'll have to check at the Farmer's Market this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramp butter!!!

    Awesome idea.

    Thank you so much for sharing this with us in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...