My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dandelion Greens & Ramp Brie Baguette

So exciting, the Mill City Farmers Market opened on Saturday! Ryan and I took his mom, Diane, because she had never been there before. I picked up some dandelion greens, lettuce mix, arugula, rhubarb, and baby bok choy. I was so excited to see the dandelion greens and to pick up tender lettuce mix from our crop share farmers at Loon Organics.

Although it was a bit cold on Saturday morning, it was still refreshing to be outside by the river and wander around. I can't wait for more market trips!

On Sunday, I made about 15 cups of croutons with the leftover bread that was overtaking my freezer. I baked them in the oven with a ground mixture of smoked sea salt, dried rosemary, and black pepper mixed with olive oil. All batches were done in just enough time to enjoy a salad. I finally had an opportunity to use what we bought at the market for dinner. I made a salad of dandelion greens, arugula, and lettuce mix and whisked together a lemon hemp oil vinaigrette.

After baking up some sweet potato fries, I used Laura's suggestion for one more ramp dish:

Brush a baguette cut in half with butter (we used our ramp butter).
Top with sliced ramps and slices of brie.
Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
Drizzle with a little truffle oil (or you can use olive oil if you don't have truffle oil)

Everything was awesome! The salad was a great mix of tender greens with bitter leaves from the dandelion and arugula. The baguettes were fantastic and a great excuse to use a little truffle oil. I highly recommend you try this at home.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, now I really need to get to the Mill City Farmer's Market this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must ask . . . do your sweet potato fries get crispy? Mine do not . . . :(

    P.S. I. LOVE. BRIE. Must make baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine - good question! This time mine did not get crispy and I think it's because I barely used any oil. In the past I've been a more generous with the oil and they have been crispier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh... looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...