My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, April 17, 2009

Tropical Oatmeal

Finally, tax busy season is OVER! I get Ryan back and although it’s only been one day, we’ve had a great time driving around the cities in my convertible thanks to the gorgeous 70 degree weather. We contemplated making dinner last night, but decided the craving for margaritas was too strong and headed to Boca Chica. Yum! We agreed that redemption would come at breakfast where we tend to make healthier meals that don’t involve tequila.

I rarely skip breakfast. It’s truly the one meal that can get you set for the day. While Ryan can eat yogurt and granola every morning, I need more variety and tend to eat something different almost every morning. One of my new favorites is what I call “Tropical Oatmeal” because it has pineapple, coconut and mango syrup and is completely fitting for this time of year while we wait for the fresh fruit to arrive.




I picked up mango syrup on our honeymoon at some specialty store in Vancouver. I often use maple syrup, brown sugar, or rock sugar crystals to sweeten my oatmeal in addition to fruit. Use whatever you have on hand.

Tropical Oatmeal
(1-2 servings)

¾ cup old-fashioned oats (not the quick cooking kind)
¾ cup milk (or nondairy milk)
¾ cup water (or pineapple juice)
Dash of salt
½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut
Drizzle of mango fruit puree or maple syrup

In a small saucepan, bring milk, water (or juice) and salt to a boil. Add oats and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and let cook for 5-10 minutes. Add frozen pineapple chunks and stir. Cover and let cook an additional 5 minutes or until oats are soft.
*You may want to adjust the amount of liquid depending on your desired consistency

When oats are soft, stir in toasted walnuts and transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with mango fruit puree or maple syrup and sprinkle shredded coconut on top.

While you're in the oatmeal mood, here's another recipe for lovers of apples and peanut butter.
So, how do you like the new look? It was time to do the upgrade in order to add anything cool to my site and funny enough, I go back to the layout I started with in 2006. I like the new look and the increased functionality. I’ll still be doing some tinkering over the next few weeks, so stay tuned.

Be sure to check me out at my newest endeavor, Bite of Minnesota. It’s a new food blog on WCCO’s website (the local CBS affiliate) where I talk about fresh and local foods of our area. Similar to this blog, I’ll be sharing what is in season, where to get it and how to prepare it in your own kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. I've been into savory breakfasts lately. Wheat berries with toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and green onions; scrambled eggs with black beans, salsa, and cilantro; onion bagel with hummus, feta cheese and olives. It grosses the rest of my family out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you're talking, Amy! Those are totally my kind of breakfasts. I need to make wheat berries for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds excellent! I am going to try it with steel-cut oats...do you think I should make any adjustments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aine - steel cut oats are great! However, they take much longer to cook and need more liquid. I'd say double the liquid and cook them for about 40 minutes before adding the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunatley, I, like Ryan, could eat granola and yogurt every day. But this oatmeal, with it's walnuts, pineapple and coconut, sounds truly tummy comforting and fulfilling :) Sounds like I need to be not so lazy and treat myself to variety!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited to try your oatmeal! When I was in Florida, my friend Debbie turned me on to oatmeal (I agree, only old fashioned will do), walnuts, blueberries (frozen mostly), and vanilla yogurt. Yummy. My staple has been to just add fresh strawberries and blueberries.
    Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...