My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff

Although we had a couple days of surprisingly warm weather, it’s still pretty much winter here in Minnesota. That’s okay. We’re used to it and remain confident that summer is just around the corner. In the meantime, I still get to make comfort foods and spend a lot of time around the stove without any humidity from the outdoors.

I figured it was still appropriate to make comfort foods like the Seitan-Portobello Stroganoff from Vegan with a Vengeance. I know stroganoff traditionally calls for beef, but trust me, it’s not needed. This dish is great without beef or you can use seitan, a bread-like protein (vital wheat gluten flour, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and more). I simmered mine in Not-Beef broth, sliced it thinly and seared it in a pan so the outsides get crispy. It was the best seitan I’ve made in a long time. By the way, seitan is best homemade, so skip the stuff at the store in the blue package - ick.

Enough about the seitan! Now onto the stroganoff! The flavors were so rich in this dish as over 4 cups of mushrooms were simmered with red wine, shallots, herbs and spices to make a deliciously creamy gravy that we served with peas over noodles.


I have to admit, this dish was incredibly time consuming. I think start to finish it took about 3 hours, which is why I've only made it twice. Sounds like I have some recipe creating to do so we can all make a quick version when the cold hits again!


Note to Bloglines Readers: I've been alerted that Bloglines is about 1 month behind in my posts. I'm not sure why this is happening, but it seems to be limited to Bloglines as Google Reader is up to date. If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this, please share in the comments or contact me via e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...