My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Little Bites of Energy - Step by Step

We all love to snack, right? The dilemma is what to snack on, especially when in a bind. There are so many times when I’m hungry, but heading to workout or just need something to tide me over before my next meal. Some people turn to energy or protein bars, but often, those bars are not easy on your waistline or your pocketbook. Did you know you can easily make your own little energy snacks? Well, you can and I’m going to show you how!

Step 1: Soak 1 1/2 cups of pitted dates in hot water for 10 minutes; drain.


Step 2: Toast 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts in a skillet or oven; let cool

Step 3: Grind walnuts in a food processor or blender until they are finely ground (the walnuts smell fantastic at this point!)


Step 4: Add 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and the drained dates.


Step 5: Process until spreadable like peanut butter. Form into 1-inch balls and roll in shredded coconut.


Final Step: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Seriously these things are so good and I urge you to try them. You'll get some fruit, Omega 3's, and satisfy your chocolate craving all at the same time. Thanks to Student's Go Vegan Cookbook for the great idea!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I tend to snack a lot, I am definitely making these! I love your step-by-step directions with pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredible! i love recipes like this! and i'll be trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You caught me...I am snacking right now on almonds.

    I made truffles similar to this once using apricots, prunes and figs. I love the idea of using dates and walnuts, and chocolate, oh yeah!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...