My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, April 6, 2009

Lazy Sunday? No Way!

A lot of cooking went on in my kitchen on Sunday – whew! I started the day with Pumpkin Waffles, got Ryan off to work and continued cooking the rest of the waffles. I also made a batch of Lemon Corn Waffles too, but ran out of cornmeal and had to substitute grits for half the recipe. Got to love substitutions! All the waffles went into the freezer and I made a jar of blueberry syrup to keep on hand as well.

For lunch snacks this week, I made black cherry Jell-O mixed with blackberry yogurt (use the yogurt instead of cold water). Then I moved onto making home-made roasted garlic pita chips. Big thanks to LeAnn for the idea!

I could have just stopped right there, but started to think an appetizer dinner would be a fun and good way to use up some veggies. I baked a dish of spinach artichoke dip and added 1/4 of a jar of sun-dried tomatoes - very awesome addition!



Next, I found potsticker wrappers in our fridge that had been foodsaved awhile back. Perfect for veggie potstickers! I filled them with kale, daikon, carrots and green onions.


I’ve posted about these twice before, but that’s because they are so good! Plus, for some reason I love the assembly line nature of making potstickers. It's meditative! We usually serve them with a dip of soy sauce, sesame oil, chopped green onions and crushed red pepper.

Want that Spinach Artichoke Dip recipe? Here you go:

Spicy Spinach & Artichoke Dip


1/4 c. butter
1 c. onion, chopped
1 (10oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) pkg. sour cream
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 c. Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tbsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
Salt to taste
Pitas and sliced veggies, for serving


Melt butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, sour cream, ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese, ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, pepper sauce, and salt. Stir until well blended and heated through. Pour mixture into a casserole dish and top with remaining cheeses. Bake in a 350° oven until cheese starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Serve with pitas and sliced veggies. Makes about 4 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...