My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, April 24, 2009

Grilling Up a Slice Of The Past

Wow, it’s absolutely gorgeous out today. A day like today is truly our well deserved reward for enduring those negative 22 degree days, right? Not only did Ryan and I go on a nice walk yesterday, but we also grilled and drove to a friend’s (in the convertible, of course) to enjoy a few beers. I know it’s only April, but I can’t help but hope the weather stays warm. Pinch me, I think I’m dreaming!

Last summer, we didn’t do too much grilling. With all the wedding planning and wedding errands, it just didn’t happen as often as we would have liked. This summer will be flames up! (the grill, not our house...k?)

When we lived in London a few years back, we couldn’t grill in our little flat. Our place was up 87 stairs with no balcony, so it was pretty much out of the question. We did, however, satisfy our cravings by frequenting a place called Nando’s. Their signature dish was flame-grilled chicken marinated in their special peri-peri sauce served with sides like corn on the cob and garlic bread. Perfect for us Americans who were missing home and the grill smell was amazingly luring.

Wanting a little slice of our past, I ordered up some Nando’s Peri-Peri sauce and used it as a marinade for our tofu last night.


I parboiled peppers and Brussels sprouts and skewered them along with marinated tofu, onions and mushrooms. Ryan threw them on the grill and voila, a great blast from the past.


Now, I swear I don’t remember the sauce being *this* spicy! I used some as a side dipping sauce and next thing you know; my lips are starting to become numb (in a good and exciting way, of course).

If you want to get some Nando’s Peri-Peri sauce for yourself, you can order on their website or swing by an ethnic grocery like Holy Land. Or, if for some reason you’re not affected by this economic crisis, fly yourself over to London (or South Africa where it started) for the real thing. Enjoy!

This post is a contribution to Fight Back Fridays for Food Renegades!


2 comments:

  1. The skewers are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skewers look so good! I'm want to put Brussels sprouts on the next ones I make.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...