My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, March 9, 2009

Wii Bowling Tourney & Healthier Eating

Is it just me, or is the Nintendo Wii one of the best forms of entertainment out there right now? In an effort to celebrate Ryan’s 30th with family and friends without having to spend too much money, we hosted a Wii bowling tournament complete with pizza and drinks. Surprisingly, the folks with little to no experience with the Wii fared the best and won the tournament, but a good time was had by all.

Here’s the birthday boy (along with 2 of my super cute nephews):


After a late night of pizza and beer, we try to steer towards some healthier options in the following days while still maintaining a casual weekend feel. Portobello mushroom burgers are one of my favorites.



The portobello mushroom burgers are so easy to make. I dice some shallot, add balsamic vinegar and any herbs I have on hand and pour this over the inside of lightly oiled portobello mushrooms. The mushrooms get roasted on a baking sheet at the same time as a couple heads of garlic in foil. Total roasting time is about 40 minutes at 375 degrees. Spread the roasted garlic over buns, add the mushrooms and melt some Monterey jack cheese on top. Yum!

Although Ryan’s favorite vegetable is broccoli, mine is green beans. I love to try new ways of making green beans and this one using radicchio was definitely a tasty one. Here’s the recipe.


This cooks up quite quickly and the radicchio gives the dish a uniquely nutty taste. I topped it with some asiago shavings that look oddly like pieces of paper in the above picture :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh. The green beans look awesome. They are one of my favorite veggies too. I have been looking for a reason to buy some radicchio. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 30th to Ryan! I guess you're never to old for a pizza party on your birthday.

    The burgers and green beans look great. I just love radicchio - thanks for pointing out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...