My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, March 6, 2009

Time for Shrimp & Grits Y’all!

No, I’m not southern. I’m completely Minnesotan right down to the core. Yes, I say Minnesoooota, ya you betcha, and talk about the weather quite often. I can’t help it; it’s in my blood. However, I have this natural ability to pick up a couple other accents when I’m around them. I turned Canadian when I was in Vancouver for our honeymoon and I turn southern when I’m around a southern accent. Case in point, I had a visitor from Mississippi this past weekend and sure enough, I had started with the drawl within hours. Does this happen to anyone else?

In honor of my southern visitor, I tried my hand at Shrimp and Grits. We went through a grits phase a year or so ago where I made grits (mixed with jelly and butter) for breakfast on a regular basis, so I still had about half of a canister left. We also had some leftover shrimp from a seafood feast which would work perfectly in this dish. Shrimp and Grits it was!




This dish was inspired by a few recipes I’ve seen lately, but I tried to reduce the fat content and used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

Shrimp and Grits
(4 servings)

2 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth
¼ cup half-and-half
¼ cup skim milk
¼ tsp salt
1 cup grits
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter
½ tsp Tabasco sauce
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
½ lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup sliced green onion
¾ cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
lemon wedges, for serving

Combine water, 2 cups vegetable broth, half and half, skim milk and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; gradually whisk in grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Add cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, Tabasco sauce, and white pepper; set aside but keep warm.

In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms for approximately 5 minutes, or until tender. Add peeled shrimp and garlic and sauté until shrimp are cooked and lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes. Add green onions, ¾ cup vegetable broth, lemon juice, and Tabasco and cook until slightly reduced.

Divide grits amongst 4 plates and spoon shrimp mixture over the top. Garnish with lemon wedges, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Although this recipe has a lot of ingredients, it was really easy to make. With the exception of shrimp, I usually have a lot of this on hand or can substitute ingredients quite easily. You could easily make this without the shrimp by using a combo of veggies like asparagus, green beans and okra.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had grits in ages!

    P.S. I love your new profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooow chil', as a Suthin' girl I'll tell you you ain't supposed to be mixin' nothin' sweet in yo grits! Jelly is jus plain wrong. Shrimp's fine. Fine indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The accent thing happens to me too! It's embarrassing, but I really can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...yes this happens to me all the time! When I talk to my British clients I end up talking back to them with a slight accent! Glad you liked the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...