My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, February 23, 2009

Roasted Broccoli and Tofu with Garlic and Cumin

Sunday night dinners should be a bit on the healthy side for one reason: to get you set up for healthy eating throughout the week. We were so tempted to grab a couple pints and some greasy food at a local Irish hangout in an attempt to extend our weekend, but we resisted the temptation! Instead, we got to work in the kitchen to make one of my favorite broccoli dishes, Roasted Broccoli and Tofu with Garlic and Cumin.





















It’s quite easy to put together and only uses a bowl, 2 baking sheets, a knife and a cutting board. Here’s what you do:

1.) Press 1 pound of tofu (I wrap mine tightly in a towel and use my heavy Dutch oven pan to press it for 1 hour)
2.) Mix together 5 minced garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds, and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
3.) Trim 1 ½ pounds broccoli into small florets. Put on a baking sheet and toss with oil/garlic mixture.
4.) Cut pressed tofu into ½-inch cubes. Put on a second baking sheet and toss with oil/garlic mixture.
5.) Bake at 400° for approximately 30 minutes or until tofu is crispy on the outside (but still soft on inside) and broccoli is roasted.

I also had a packet of dried porcini mushrooms in my cupboard, so I made up a mushroom brown rice pilaf to serve alongside the broccoli.

Ryan and I both love this dish! It's low maintenance and rich in veggies. It also makes for great leftovers as it's equally good cold. I'm not much of a fan of cumin in ground form, but for some reason I have no problem with cumin seeds, so I urge you to try this dish even if you're not a cumin fan.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! Don't think I've ever roasted broccoli, though. Something new to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds so delicious! Of course I love roasted broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! I love love love roasted tofu and broccoli..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to drop you a quick line to tell you that this recipe inspired me to make use of the broccoli I got from our produce service. I roasted it with a mixture of oil/garlic/red pepper flakes, tucked it into a whole-wheat pita, and topped it with a bit of yogurt seasoned with salt and pepper. I'm eating it right now with a serving of a harvest grain salad I made after trying a demo of it at Trader Joe's. It's a great meal. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...