My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, July 21, 2008

Ginger Tofu with Noodles & Greens

I hope you had a great weekend! I have been so run down lately that I spent most of Saturday sleeping...I just couldn't get up! I finally got enough energy to go to the doctor to figure out why my throat has been so irritated for the last 6 days. Not that they had an answer because they rarely do, but at least I don't have strep. I guess I just wait this out and see what happens.

Sunday I felt a little more energized and went on a 4 mile walk (to make up for no exercise last week) and Ryan and I were able to organize our music. I tell ya, it's really hard to categorize M.I.A., Santogold and many of our other new CD's.

We also had some time to cook and having recently got some gorgeous Swiss Chard in our crop share, I knew we had to use it soon.



I remembered a recipe I got from Catherine over at Food Snob a few years ago for Ginger Tofu with Noodles & Greens. It was so long ago that she doesn't even remember it! Of course I substituted the spinach with our Swiss Chard and regular garlic for our green garlic from the crop share :)

Ginger Glazed Tofu with Peanut Noodles and Greens
(8 servings)


½ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed
½-inch ginger, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 pkg. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 1 hour
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½-inch ginger, minced
½ small onion, minced
½ cup coconut flakes
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ tsp red curry paste
2 tbsp peanut butter
Whole-wheat linguine
½ tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable broth
2 cups spinach

For the marinade, mix vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, 2 smashed cloves of garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Cube tofu and set in marinade; let soak for about 20 minutes.

Heat a large pot to boil and add linguine noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and reserve. In a cool pan, pour 1 tablespoon olive oil, add 2 cloves of minced garlic, ginger, onion, and coconut. Turn on burner and heat to medium. Cook until onion, garlic and ginger are lightly brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the tofu cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Add sesame seeds and red curry paste and continue to cook until sesame seeds are toasted. Then add peanut butter and cooked linguine noodles. Stir until peanut butter is melted and all ingredients are covered.

Add salt and veggie broth to deglaze the pan. Add spinach and cook until wilted and sauce is thick. Serve with steamed broccoli or other steamed vegetable.


Our sauce didn't necessarily turn out thick, but that was fine. I'm not one for saucy stuff anyway. This recipe was great and really easy to make. I have most of the ingredients on hand on a regular basis, so it's a good throw together meal. In the winter, I'm sure you could use frozen spinach or other greens.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Look at that! Nice to see what that recipe looks like, since I have no memory of ever making it! :)

    We all cook so much, I guess it's hard to remember everything??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...