My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Broken Lasagna with Walnut Pesto & Peach Cake

How easy is it to whip up some pesto and toss it with noodles? I found this recipe from Heidi Swanson in my Food and Wine magazine and had to try it! This is one of the best pestos I've made. Sometimes they turn out too bitter or clumpy, but this one coated the noodles very well.

Despite the poor picture quality, you can still see that I used a spring mix instead of arugula and found it to still be good. We only had a couple mushrooms and sauteed them and tossed with the pasta.



Back a couple months ago, this peach cake was going around. We received a tub of peaches from a family member and prepped them for the freezer. We finally got around to making this cake using the frozen peaches. How pretty!


However, I have to say this wasn't my favorite. It was easy to make, but didn't hit the spot. We eventually finished the whole cake, but probably wouldn't make it again.

10 comments:

  1. I used to make a really nice peach upside down cake back in the day...but it used jello powder...ick can't imagine eating that now! Yours looks lovely.

    I have used walnut in pesto before, and it is nice. The almighty walnut reigns as one of my fave nuts, and a great way to get omega 3's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love pesto... and like you, I have a bunch of frozen peaches left from the summer that I need to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm craving pesto . . . argh! Darn you, Crystal!! ;-)

    P.S. Sorry the peach cake was less than stellar. (I hate it when that happens!) It is gorgeous, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally random, but I've been reading your blog for a while, and I'm wondering which CSA you used last year. I live in the Twin Cities too and am seriously considering joining one. Feel free to email me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing and is making me very hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pasta looks great. Peach cake though, takes the cake. (sorry, that was bad). It looks amazing, even if it didn't taste that great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Heidi Swanson's recipes, and her photography is gorgeous...

    What a sunburst of a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't decide which looks better. I want some of that cake! Mmmmm, it sounds awesome and it's gorgeous to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal!! Where have you been??!?!?

    Guess I'll have to call you. :) H&M was just too long ago!

    P.S. I just finished posting pictures from my recent trip to Haiti -- come check 'em out, if you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...