My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pizza Time!

Previously, I posed the question if pizza could still count as a meal...well, the answer is yes! Although we've cut down our pizza consumption, it's still great to make every so often.

I make my own pizza dough using my breadmaker and immediately freeze it for later use. We probably have 2-3 pizza doughs in the freezer at all times and it works very well. to put together a quick meal.

I've been wanting to try various cheese-less pizzas for awhile now and finally made a Caramelized Onion Pizza with Walnuts and Sage from the Students Go Vegan cookbook. I've never caramelized so many onions before and boy did everything smell like onion for days! I'll have to wait until spring to make this again when I can have the windows open.

This pizza was super easy...I prebaked the crust, added the caramelized onions, toasted walnuts, and sage. It rocked. I really liked it and didn't miss the cheese, although some blue cheese would be perfect on this in the future.


Another pizza we made was a taco pizza. This is pretty basic as you prebake the crust, spread a bean and salsa mixture and bake a bit longer. Then top with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, crushed tortilla chips and mozzarella cheese. We went pretty heavy on the bean mixture, but if making for a group would probably cut it down a bit as it makes a mess!



Both these pizzas would be fantastic for a Superbowl party :) Taco pizza used to be my favorite in college, but I haven't been able to find a similar one since. This comes pretty close!

5 comments:

  1. I saw a recipe for a taco type pizza in a magazine not long ago and thought it sounded terrific. I quite often have trouble restraining myself when topping a pizza. I usually end up with too much "stuff" on it and it's all sloppy and messy. I really should seek some help for that. I would really like a carmelized onion cheeseless pizza, but Jim, I know, wouldn't. He "needs" the cheese.
    (Pizza is one of my favorite foods, so in my opinion, this post is one of your best yet. Amazing!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was extremely surprised when I had blue cheese on my salad recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the first pizza with caramelized onions, I think some grilled pear would be pretty good on it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think pizza counts as a meal . . . especially if you make it from scratch and use lots of healthy ingredients!! :) (And maybe add a side salad? At least that's what I do!)

    P.S. We should get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That pizza looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...