My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Crusted Tempeh with Root Mash & Miso Gravy

As I love trying new recipes, it's not often that we make the same thing more than once. However, we do go through spurts of favorites and the Crusted Tempeh from Students Go Vegan is definitely a favorite. As mentioned before, this tempeh is baked in a marinade, brushed with Dijon mustard, and coated with a cornmeal mixture before pan frying.

We served the Crusted Tempeh with a root mash of potatoes and parsnips (left over from our cropshare!). The mash was topped with a miso gravy from Real Food Daily. I really love this gravy and could serve it with almost anything. I think the miso has a perfect salt level for me.




One thing I need to work on though is how to mash potatoes...I really need a potato masher because using beaters just doesn't work. Either it's too lumpy or too glue-like. That's why I hand over the mashing to Ryan typically. Just not my specialty!

It's getting colder and colder here in Minnesota. It's that bone chilling, stomach clenching cold, but I do indulge in using my automatic car starter. It's made the Minnesota winters much more bearable! I'm wishing it would snow...at least then it would have to warm up around here :)

3 comments:

  1. I use a lefse ricer to mash potatoes. It makes them super smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking meal. I have to give tempeh another try. Maybe it's one of those things that grows on you. I didn't much care for tofu when I started eating it, but it's a staple now.
    We're not getting much cold or any snow to speak of. We had one big storm in mid December but it's long since melted away. We even set records last week with temps of 16C (60F) - in January!! Crazy! I'll try to send good temperature vibes your way. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I just checked out the Real Food Daily book from the library, and will be sure to check the gravy out. That whole meal looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...