My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cranberry and Wild Rice Salad with Pistachios and Pears

When I first saw this recipe in a grocery store magazine, I thought "I HAVE to make that!" We had all the ingredients and it looked healthy.

So, I cooked up some wild rice - it was cooked to perfection may I add! I mixed that with some diced pears, dried cranberries and green onions. It was all topped with pistachios. Yum, Yum!



Here's the recipe...didn't have leeks, so used green onions:


Wild Rice with Pears, Pistachios and Cranberries
(4 to 6 servings)

2/3 cup wild rice
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
2 firm, but ripe pears, cut into chunks
1 tbsp brandy
¼ cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup coarsely chopped salted pistachios

Rinse rice and place in a saucepan. Cook according to package directions.

While rice cooks, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until tender, but not browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.

Add remaining butter to skillet and raise heat to medium-high and add pears. Sauté, stirring for 30 seconds, then stir in brandy and cook until evaporated. Add to leeks.

When rice is cooked, drain off all excess liquid. Transfer to bowl with leeks and pears and add pistachios and cranberries. Mix well. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Serve hot.

In the next year, I'm planning on teaching some cooking classes for community education and would love to put this dish on the menu!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Congrats on teaching some classes. I love teaching my cooking classes. It is a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love wild rice. Seems more popular in MN than it is elsewhere. Reminds me, I've been meaning to make some wild rice mushroom soup.

    Belated happy holiday and Happy New Year! And congrats to Ryan on his graduation and the both of you on your anniversary. Good luck with the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dig that salad! Hubby on the other had would hate it. He doesn't like fruit-type things in his grains. There is a curry dish I love that has raisins in it. He hates it. I like the sweet savoury combo.
    Teaching cooking classes?! That sounds like a blast. Will you be posting about it? You should take your camera and take a pic from the instructor's side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! I love the colors and the textures sound great :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...