My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, December 31, 2007

Holiday Wishes!

Happy New Year's Eve! Is it just me or does anyone have plans this New Year's? It just seems like nothing is going on. Although I work today, I look forward to getting out of here early, working out, and making some good dinner tonight!

I mentioned in my last post that Ryan graduated and we threw a party for him. Well, in the hustle of the day, I only got a pic of my main dish although we had a ton of food. The favorite item was lavash pizza with smoked mozzarella, proscuitto and arugula, which we served as an appetizer.

Although I couldn't get my stubborn dad to try my main dish, the rest of the family loved it. I made Roasted Butternut Squash and Greens Pasta. It was my first time making it in advance and for a large group. I roasted the greens and veggies the night before and reheated them in the oven while I cooked the pasta. Tossed everything together and voila!























Soon after Ryan's graduation, Thanskgiving came along. Ryan's mom took care of almost all the cooking, but I brought Candied Sweet Potatoes. Ryan's great grandma used to make these, so I tried to bring the memory back with my own version. I had never made this before, but let me tell you...it won't only be a Thanksgiving dish! I loved the crunch of the marshmallows and of course the sweetness of the brown sugar and sweet potatoes together. This dish was such a hit, we were only able to package up a few bites to bring home with us.







Over the weekend, Ryan and I celebrated our 14th anniversary and had a fun day. It's been a long time since we've been able to tool around the city together on a weekend. We ran a bunch of errands, checked out a Greek grocery store in Minneapolis (and picked up a ton of cool items), and ate at one of our favorite organic/vegetarian restaurants, French Meadow. Mmmm...I love French Meadow! Ryan tried this thai tempeh sandwich and we're determined to figure out how to make it. Any recipes calling for tempeh to be mixed with thai spices out there?

9 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you!

    Not Thai, but there was a wonderful recipe for Indonesian-style tempeh (with coconut milk and tons of spices) in an issue of Natural Health magazine a few years back. The Whole Foods Market recipe site also has a lot of good tempeh recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the anniversary! The food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pasta looks amazing!
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew . . . the holidays are always a very blessed time, but it's also nice to get back to regular daily life and routine, which includes getting caught up on your blog.

    I can attest to all the food being extremely delicious since I was fortunate enough to have tried it all.

    Here's to 2008!!!! Should be an exciting year.

    Love You - Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my wife wasn't a commie and liked marshmellows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mm, that pasta looks and sounds really good, and an interesting mix of flavours too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated anniversary. The food looks wonderful like always, esp. that colorful pasta. Happy New Year to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the anniversary! The food looks great!


    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year and Congratulations! It's great the you two love the same foods and like to cook together.

    Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...