My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Wild Rice and Tempeh Stuffed Squash

In our crop shares, we received a good amount of squash, which is fantastic because it can be kept for so long.

Ryan and I tried a recipe from our co-op that involved roasting acorn squash and stuffing it with wild rice, brown rice, tempeh and cranberries. All the ingredients on their own are great...but not so great all together. I couldn't quite pinpoint what was wrong with this dish. The tempeh and rice mixture tasted plain and the squash was almost a little bitter. In the end, we found the best way to eat this dish was to eat the rice mixture separately from the roasted squash.

It looks pretty though, doesn't it?

4 comments:

  1. I'm often disappointed by bland, rice-stuffed dishes, too. Looks lovely, though, and I'm sure it's good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that will definitely be one of the ways I will not do my acorn squash. I, too, am thankful that they last so long, since I still have two acorn squash to use.

    I am planning on trying the Corn Bread and Pine Nut Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe from our crop share. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    It's definitely fun to learn different ways to cook squash. My knowledge is soooo limited!

    Love You -

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it didn't turn out nicely! The photo sounds great, and I was going to copy the idea since I have more squash than I know what to do with! But it's still a good thing to eat, weird taste and all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite way to stuff acorn squash is to cook a wild rice blend in part water and part veggie broth, then mix in currants that have been soaked in a small amount of veggie broth as well as some caramelized onions. I served this for Thanksgiving's main dish last year and it was a HUGE hit. The wild rice blend was just a little package of about seven types that I'd picked up at Wild Oats.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...