My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, October 1, 2007

Crispy Kale with Potatoes and PB&J Bars

Happy Monday! We had a rain-filled weekend, but at least the skies were clear for the ALS Walk around Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. We have been doing this walk for a number of years in memory of Ryan's uncle, Paul. Typically we are layered in long underwear and sweatshirts, but this year we were down to t-shirts and light sweatshirts! It was a nice change.


With items from our crop share, we made roasted potatoes, shallots, and kale with caramelized garlic dressing. The recipe goes pretty much as it sounds as you roast all of the items and then mix it all together with roasted garlic and red wine vinegar. It is good to roast the kale in a separate pan from the potatoes as they have different cooking times. It was served with some corn on the cob - yum! Overall, the kale dish was very good, but I wouldn't list it as a favorite. It is kind of weird to eat crispy kale.


I also made some Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars from a recipe by Ina Garten. These totally rocked and are uber addicting, but really filling, so it stops you from eating too much! I used natural peanut butter as I can't remember the last time I've bought Skippy or Jif. We used raspberry jam that Ryan's co-worker made from raspberries in her garden.


It's really easy to make as you made a peanut butter dough bottom, slather on some jelly, and then drop the rest of the peanut butter dough on top of the jelly. Top with crushed peanuts and put in the oven until golden and you're done!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, those PB&J stars look so awesome! I can't remember the last time I bought Jif or Skippy either... choosy moms definitely do NOT choose Jif! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - been lurking for a while. I'm in the Twin Cities, too, and am a recent convert to a much healthier diet. It's not been too hard because my digestive system can't really handle meat or greasy/fatty foods anyway.

    Anywhoo...I just wanted to mention that I buy the Skippy Natural. Ingredients are roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, salt. I'm not sure how it compares in sugar and salt content to other naturals, but I do know it's a little easier on my finances!

    Keep sharing your recipes, I'm getting yummy inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PBJ Bars? Need . . . recipe . . . must . . . email!!!

    P.S. We have to get together sometime soon! October's insane for me, but maybe November?? It's been WAY too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PBJ bars look amazing. Croikie, I feel like I can never get through the list of all the new recipes I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't ask me why I called them Peanut Butter STARS instead of BARS! I must be going insane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated bday... sounds like a great night!

    those bars look so addictive and delicious.. I think I saw her make them on food network..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy very belated birthday ms. cyan..... take care
    oh... any extra pb&j bars you could just send my way... thanks
    Julee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those bars do look delicious. I'm sure they extra awesome with fresh raspberries.

    Crispy kale sounds good. It reminds me of fried spinach leaves I had once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday!!

    Those pb&j bars look amazing. My mother makes something similar, only she puts a layer of peanut butter and jelly in the middle. They are sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also drooling over the PB & J bars. Yum!

    Happy (very) belated birthday and congrats on becoming an aunt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...