My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, September 24, 2007

My Special Birthday


Yep, it was my birthday recently (actually, on the 12th). Typically my birthday celebrations span over an entire week as it's hard to get everyone together at one time and I can spend my actual birthday with Ryan.

This year Ryan was especially sweet. We've been so busy (my bro had a new baby!), so the idea of rush home-drive downtown-eat and drink tons-come home-passout wasn't so appealing this year. So, he surprised me by secretly taking the day off work and cleaning the house along with getting by birthday gifts ready. (sidenote: I was totally onto him. I knew it was suspicious that he made me breakfast and wasn't in a hurry to get to work. I was also suspicious when he answered his phone mid-day and I could hear that he was driving!)

So, when I got home from work, he was waiting for me all dressed up. He said he was taking me out for an appetizer and a drink close to our house. We went to Copper Bleu, a new upscale restaurant out here in the 'burbs. We then went home where he made me dinner and surprised me with our dining room table set with new dishes, water in wine glasses, and a new tablecloth.


It was all so perfect!! While I sat and drank ice wine, he made a surprise dinner of crab (again, Guy's Big Bite came in handy!) And he made a recipe I had picked out of the local co-op's newsletter. It had zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, spinach, soba noodles and tofu. Yum!


And, of course, dessert! This was a marscapone cheese, raspberry and chocolate cup. No, Ryan didn't make it, but it was still really good!



It was just so nice to be able to spend my birthday at home and with such a wonderful guy!

My birthday celebrations continued to be awesome as we went to my parent's house on Friday and had take-out and DQ ice cream cake (the first pic in the post). It was great to hang out at my parent's house without having to rush off to somewhere else.

On Saturday, we tried out a new restaurant with Ryan's family called FireLake. They pride themselves in using local ingredients and the food was wonderful. Ryan and I split the trout with grilled asparagus and shared some appetizers with everyone. I don't think I've ever had trout before, but I know I will again! We were having such a good time that after dinner was done and everyone had left, Ryan and I found a cozy couch and just sat and talked for another hour.
Next year is the big 3-0, so I'm sure I'll have some kind of party, but for now, I'll continue to enjoy my 20's for one more year!

10 comments:

  1. Your birthday week was a great time! I really enjoy the time we spend together no matter what day it is :)

    I love you!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great Birthday!!!! congrats.

    what a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice cream cake! New dishes! Homemade dinner! Best birthday ever!!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan is a sweetheart. Dinner at a restaurant can't compare to a clean house and home cooked dinner made by someone who loves you. And an ice cream cake isn't too shabby either. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRYSTAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday. What a sweet, sweet guy you have there! The food all looks delicious and he did a great job setting up the table and presenting everything so nicely.

    Softserve was something I missed after going vegan, but recently I was introduced to a place with nondairy softserve, so I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A birthday celebration designed especially for you . . . an extra special birthday for an extraordinary, very much loved sweetie!!!

    We Love You -

    Ron and Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Crystal! (Better late than never, right?) Glad to hear you had such a wonderful birthday.

    Just wanted to let you know that the Sage-Walnut Pesto I blogged about was a blend of sage and parsley, with other typical pesto ingredients (subbing walnut oil for the more traditional e-v olive oil.) Did you want the exact recipe? I think the pesto would be excellent garnishing pumpkin soup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday. How sweet of Ryan! It sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry I missed this post- happy belated birthday, Crystal!! How sweet of Ryan to go all out like that...

    By the way, I replied to your sourdough question on my blog- check it out if you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...