My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Thai Noodles with Tofu

In an effort to use up some more of our cabbage, I searched Epicurious.com for some cabbage recipes and came up with this one:



Thai Noodles with Tofu


The cabbage and carrots in this dish supply 126 percent of your daily vitamin A, key to maintaining healthy eyes.

1 package (2 oz) rice noodles
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup julienned carrots
1/2 cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 lb. pressed extra-firm tofu, broken up in pieces
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoon sugar
4 teaspoon fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon Asian chile paste
1 tablespoon peanut oil


Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a medium pot; cook noodles 3 minutes. Place cabbage in a colander and drain noodles over cabbage; immediately rinse with cold water. Drain again. Toss cabbage and noodles in a bowl with carrots, cucumber, pepper, and scallions. Whisk basil, mint, juice, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, chile paste and oil in another bowl; drizzle over noodle mixture.


Meanwhile, break tofu into pieces and toss with flour. Heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly fry up tofu in a little bit of olive oil. Divide noodles into 4 bowls and top with tofu.

-----

This dish tasted incredibly light and fresh and was so easy to make! It's my first time dusting the tofu with flour before frying and it made for a nice crispy crust. I plan to do this again in the future.
I did make some changes to the original recipe. I substituted tofu for chicken, eliminated the cucumber (Ryan hates them!) and used soba noodles instead of rice noodles (we were out of rice noodles). Yum yum!

13 comments:

  1. Yummy! I would make this without the fish sauce though. Do you think it would make a huge difference in the taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the cabbage I eat, I should have x-ray vision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie - go ahead and make it without fish sauce, but maybe sub soy sauce instead. I've omitted it in recipes before with no problem!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tire of thai noodles. (That was hard to type, for some reason!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about making Thai noodles tonight. I'll probably use this as my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal -

    The more I read your blog, the more inspired I once again become to do more with my crop share than just eat salads and to take the time to cook more. Summer gets so crazy.
    This looks fabulous. I'm making my shopping list, so I'm trying some of your suggestions :)

    Love You -

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. somehow my tofu never looks as pretty as everyone else's. i don't use flour though, perhaps that's the trick!
    looks simply divine

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! It does sound refreshing. I'm with you on the soba substitution-I love them so much better than rice noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Reminds me a little of the peanut noodles from VwaV. I'll have to get my hands on some cabbage at the market next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to use up cabbage. It's curiously long lasting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you could cook for me because I think I would become a vegetarian :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...