My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sweet & Sour Tofu and Broccoli

Mmmm...mmmm..mmm...this dish is awesome! Since I've been tuning into Vegan Yum Yum's blog lately, I was super excited to find this recipe for Sweet & Sour Tofu and Broccoli. I've never used only cornstarch for "breading", but it made for a super crunchy crispy coating.



We also steamed up some broccoli from Gardens of Eagan (that's where our farm, Loon Organics gets their broccoli for our crop share) and threw in some almonds. Now, this recipe did take some time to make since we fried the tofu in batches, but it was well worth it. You could easily substitute any green veggies in this like asparagus or green beans.
Here's the modified recipe:

Crispy Sweet & Sour Tofu
(4 servings)

1 lb. extra-firm tofu
2 tsp Ener-g Egg Replacer + 4 tsp water, mixed
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup peanut or canola oil
Sesame Seeds for garnish
½ cup sliced almonds
1-2 cups steamed broccoli

Sauce:
3 ½ tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (you can eyeball the ½ tbsp)
¼ cup water
2 tbsp + 2 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp molasses
¼ tsp ginger powder
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water

Slice the tofu into triangles or small cubes. Toss tofu with the egg replacer/water mixture until coated. Then toss in cornstarch until each piece is coated and dry, adding more cornstarch if needed.

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok.

While oil is heating, mix sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch/water into a small sauce pan and whisk over medium heat until sugar and salt is dissolved. Add cornstarch mixture and whisk until the sauce thickens. If you leave the sauce unattended now it will thicken and burn, so keep an eye on it. When thick, turn off heat and set aside.

Place tofu in the hot oil, being careful not to burn yourself. You don’t want the tofu to be crowded or the pieces will stick to each other, so fry it in batches if needed. Fry for 3-5 minutes until golden on the bottom, then gently turn and brown the other side. When tofu is almost done frying, add almonds and fry until very lightly browned.

Drain tofu and almonds from oil (in the sink like you’d drain pasta, being very careful), and place tofu, almonds and broccoli in a large bowl. Pour sauce on top and gently toss to completely coat. Sauce should be thick and sticky - it shouldn’t pool at the bottom of the bowl.

Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds super delicious! I don't use Ener-G, so I don't have any, but I have all the other ingredients. What is the purpose of tossing the tofu with the egg replacer? Could I make this dish without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie - I would think you could omit the Ener-G or use ground flaxseeds whipped into water. I think in general it's supposed to be what helps the cornstarch stick. If you don't have flaxseeds, just try dipping them in water or soymilk before tossing with cornstarch.

    Let me know how it turns out!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my kind of meal! I've never done the cornstarch, but supposedly that how you get a really crispy french fry, too - dip the cut potato in cornstarch and then deep fry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Vegan Yum Yum too - so many great recipes, including this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this recipe. I have had tofu a few times and liked it but have never cooked it myself. It sounds like it would be fairly easy as long as you take the precautions you noted.

    I know the egg replacer is for vegans, but could us non-vegans use egg whites and water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor - I'll have to try cornstarch on french fries. Not that I've actually fried potatoes in years, but it sounds so good!

    Annie - I'm sure you can use egg whites and water without a problem.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks lovely. i have a new appreciation for broccoli since i've given up meat. and cauliflower too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great quickie meal...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm. What a lovely reminder that I need to eat more broccoli...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet and sour tofu... mmmmmmmm... now i'm jonesin' for some of dat. Looks great, Crystal. i don't know what i ever did before Ener-G. i know some folks have trouble with it but it's always been a godsend for me in stuff i've made...

    Garden of Eagen... clever!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...