My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Crop Share #2 & Ginger Glazed Turnips




Crop Share #2 contained:
Turnips
Beets
Garlic Scapes
Green Garlic
Sugar Snap Peas
Snow Peas
Pea shoots
Baby swiss chard
Lettuce
Salad Mix

So, we went ahead and used a recipe that our farmers provided for the turnips.


*I really don't know why this picture looks upside down...if I flip it over, it still looks upside down!

Ginger-Glazed Young Turnips with Cider and Raisins

½ tsp salt plus a dash, divided
1 bunch young turnips, trimmed
¼ cup sugar or honey
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1-2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
2 Tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup apple or grape cider
½ cup raisins
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)

Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add dash of salt, then the young turnips. When water returns to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer turnips gently until tender, but not mushy 10 minutes at most. Remove the pot from heat and transfer turnips to a dish to cool. Meanwhile, transfer ½ cup of hot cooking water to medium pot. Stir in sugar or honey, vinegar, and ginger to taste. Add ½ tsp salt.
Combine cornstarch and cider in small glass or bowl; let stand until cornstarch is dissolved. Slice turnips to desired thickness. Place pot with ginger mixture over medium heat. Stir in cider mixture and adjust heat so ingredients simmer. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat; stir in the raisins and sliced turnips and continue to stir for 2 minutes, until the mixture reaches a thick, gravylike consistency. Stop stirring and let stand for 2 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and crystallized ginger.


Overall, I'm not sure that I'm too interested in turnips. This was a great way to use the turnips, but I doubt I'll ever have a craving for them.

7 comments:

  1. I hear you on the craving turnips bit. I have some big, not so young turnips that have been in my fridge for over a month. Maybe I'll do something with them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried turnips twice and can't say I'd want to buy them again either. Your turnip dish does look really pretty though.

    Your crops share had some stuff mine doesn't yet. Our peas our pick your own and the crop wasn't doing so well. A new field is opening soon.

    I'm jealous of the scapes. We don't do garic at our CSA and I've been checking every farmer's market around for them.

    Twice I've found table with scapes listed, bu no scapes were actually there. Grrrrrrrrrr.

    Hey it is funky/cool how the CSA haul affects our menu plans, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks gorgeous! You know how I like turnips? Simply raw slices in a salad or as an accompaniment to a meal, to provide a nice crunch. This is how my mom always eats turnips (or daikon). Love your upside-down rightside-up picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip hip hooray for crop shares!

    I agree with bazu - turnips add a perfect crunch to a salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crop share is lovely! Green garlic, 'eh? Hmmmm... i laughed at your note about your photo looking like it's upside-down. Cooking with veggies is like that sometimes, isn't it? "Bottoms Up" as Van Halen'd sing...

    Girl friend, thank you for comin' over to the blog to check up on Mattie (and me) and thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Totally appreciated more deeply than words here will ever convey. She is doing better, but it's been a slow process... i hope for a full recovery this week! Thank you for caring.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Dill (ick)" Hahahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. still without computer!!

    the food looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...