My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, June 18, 2007

Barley Pilaf with Carrots and Snap Peas and Tofu *with recipe!*



Hello, hello. We have returned from Vegas and had a ton of fun. We went 7 years ago and never really thought we'd visit again. Not that Vegas isn't great, it's just that there are so many other places in this world that we want to visit too. However, when faced with a decision of where to go on vacation and not wanting to spend a lot of money or time, we decided to go to Vegas again. It was a great decision.
We stayed at the Monte Carlo, which has a fantastic pool. We laid out and swam for a couple hours each morning. We met up with a friend of ours who is living down there this summer and got to do some drinking and dancing. We also went to a show, Le Reve, at the Wynn, which was an amazing display of the strength and beauty of the human body. Our schedules are so out of whack as we were staying up until 4am every night, then sleeping 4 hours and doing it all again the next day. Trust me, we're usually in bed by 10:30pm and up at 7am. I need my sleep, so I was amazed that we made it through!


We're excited to be making some healthy foods again. Here is some more backlog from when I was MIA from blogging:
*updated*
I found the recipe! It was originally from Cooking Light, but didn't include carrots or tofu.

Here you go:

Barley Pilaf with Carrots and Sugar Snap Peas
(4 servings)

1 tsp olive oil
1/3 c. finely chopped celery
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 1/3 c. vegetable broth
2/3 c. uncooked quick-cooking barley
½ c. sugar snap peas
6 tbsp julienned carrots
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb. baked tofu

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth, bring to a boil. Stir in barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.

Stir in peas, carrots, tofu and black pepper; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
--------------
I cannot remember where I found this recipe, nor can I find the recipe at this moment. We first made it as a barley pilaf with some veggies. It turned out so-so. However, after we added some baked tofu, it made it a different dish as I felt there was now more substance in it. Perfect for a summer salad or a lunch. The pilaf was topped with toasted pine nuts.

6 comments:

  1. looks great, im happy you have lots of fun there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, hello! So glad you had fun in Vega$. i cannot go there... not my kind of scene, tho the Monte Carlo sounds really cool with that pool. The show you saw sounds very interesting, too.

    i gotta say (errr... write) Crystal (& Ryan) the food you made looks EXCELLENT!!! Chock full of nutritious excellence. And toasted pine nuts makes everything better!

    WELCOME BACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget about pine nuts . . . so delicious! Could you email me that recipe? (And the recipe for the sunflower lentil loaf, too?)

    Glad to hear you had a blast in Vegas! Dan and I just got back from a weekend in Duluth -- it's amazing how much fun you can have on a very limited budget, isn't it?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the dish and thought..."I hope she shares the recipe." If you do find it, I would love it if you would post it.
    Jim & I went to Vegas a few years ago and had a blast! I know what you mean about time being all messed up. We had a 3 hour time difference as it was, plus our flight was at something ridiculous like 7am. But that place never closes. We'd be up at 3am and had no problem finding breakfast, gambling, shows, whatever. After 5 days, I was ready to come home. I was tired, my internal clock was all messed up and I needed some real food. I would go again though in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm totally looking for this recipe and will post it once I find it.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...