My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Walleye with Pecan Fried Rice & Pumpkin Trifle

I figure I'll do one more post before I head off to Orlando for the weekend. I wish I was going for vacation, but it's for my volunteer job. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I sit on the Board of Directors for a national not-for-profit service organization. I am the Program Director and in charge of planning and running leadership conferences throughout the United States. It's fun, but it's also a lot of work. It's rewarding to meet the college students and alumni who are making an impact out in the world and help them develop their leadership skills. It's also a great forum to share ideas of service work that can be done from city to city. This has been the best conference I've planned so far and it helps that the University of Central Florida has wonderful customer service!

Enough talk; onto the eating!

Ryan and I made some breaded walleye with Pecan Fried Rice (from Vive le Vegan) and some Honey Almond Whole Wheat bread.





Everything was awesome! We breaded the walleye with panko and baked it, so it wasn't greasy. The bread was hearty with a touch of sweetness. The fried rice rocked. It was so nutty and tasty. It went perfectly with the walleye. Next time I make the rice, I'll decrease the oil as it was a bit oily.



I went a little crazy buying canned pumpkin last year, so we have like 4 cans in our cupboard. I guess I thought I'd have it on hand in case I was called on to make a pumpkin pie. Yeah, no one called. So, I used it to make this pumpkin trifle. It's a gingerbread cake layered with whipped cream and a pumpkin pie mixture. It was a great dessert and would probably be better served during the holiday season, but on well.

If anyone has a great use for my excess canned pumpkin, please let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, your trifle looks great!

    How bout, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin sage lasagna or pasta sauce.. pumpkin soup,

    (damn, I have ALL of my recipes for these on my computer that has been out of commission for MONTHS now.. I will badger my husband to fix it.. )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trifle does look really good and fancy! I know how you feel about excess pumpkin- I took advantage of post-Thanksgiving sales and still have 3-4 cans left! (I wish I'd done the same with fresh cranberries but that's another story...)

    My favorite no-fail pumpkin recipe is the pumpkin oatmeal cookies from Vegan with a Vengeance. I always take them to parties and pot-lucks and they are a great hit. They stay really moist and only get better with age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to joke about how when you moved into a new house or apartment, there'd always be a can of pumpkin pie filling left in the cabinet.

    I think pumpkin pie is the best (and fastest)way to get rid of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try that rice from Vive, so I'm glad to hear that it was tasty.

    Mm, I love pumpkin, and I have all kinds of ways to use it; pie (duh), mixed into oatmeal, in chili, soup, muffins, in smoothies...I can even eat pure pumpkin straight out of the can! Your trifle looks really good, and original too. Did you use a recipe, or was it your own creation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you LOOK at that trifle. OH. My. GOSH! Thank you, thank you. That's just lovely. (and i so want one. NOW!!) Mmmmmmmmm... pumpkin! Yowza.

    Your volunteer job sounds very, very interesting. Neat that you work with "the future," - the kids (and alums) who are making a difference and will keep on doing so... I'm sure it will be nice to head to sunny Florida from slushy Minnesota for the weekend, 'eh? Hope you make time to have some fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love pumpkin muffins or even pumpkin choc chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...