My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Orange Seitan & Vegetable Fried Rice

Happy New Year! This year's celebration was very low-key. I ended up getting a cold although the source is hard to tell since most people around me have been sick lately. So, it was best for me to stay inside all weekend and rest. In addition, it finally snowed here (enough to stick on the ground at least) and driving conditions were very bad. I had fun flipping through all the channels and watching the New Year's Eve coverage.

I've found my new favorite meal...Orange Chicken Seitan with Vegetable Fried Rice. Yum! The fried rice is made with brown rice and includes veggies like bok choy, carrots, and onions. The Orange Chicken Seitan is a mix of a bunch of recipes I've gathered on blogs...here's the final version:

Orange Chicken Seitan
(4 servings)


½ lb. chicken seitan
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ cup agave nectar (or honey)
¼ cup flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp Ener-G egg replacer
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup soymilk
4 tbsp orange juice, divided
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Cut chicken seitan into bite-sized cubes. In one bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, Ener-G, and baking powder. In a second bowl, mix soymilk, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and garlic.

Heat sesame and peanut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Dip seitan in liquid mix and then in flour mix. Tap off excess flour and add to skillet. Cook, flipping pieces until golden brown. Lower heat and add agave nectar and remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Toss until coated. Serve with fried rice and garnish with sesame seeds.






















We've made this a few times in the past couple weeks and I highly recommend trying it. It's great leftover too.

10 comments:

  1. chicken seitan sounds evil!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JONk4TCrwro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some seitan in the freezer that I was trying to think of a way to prepare it but this sounds perfect! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I think 2007 will be the year that I finally try making seitan at home. Yours looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Omniman would love this, as would I. Gotta try it. So much good food, so little time and so few meals. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you make your own seitan or did you buy it??

    teddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This is going on my "to make" list for sure. Happy New Year, hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had much luck with seitan! Wanna come over and give me some pointers!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bookmarked your recipe - it looks great! I just made 3 pounds of turkey/chicken seitan from one of Bryanna's recipes and it turned out awesome. I put 2 parts of it in the freezer so one of them will be devoted to your recipe:)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, look very delicious, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've already bought the ingredients and am waiting for the perfect night to make the orange chicken seitan. But now I think I must have your fried rice recipe. The picture looks soooooo good :)!!!! It seems like it wouldn't be right without the fried rice.

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...