My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Fettuccini Alfreda

Ok, so my day off didn't go exactly as planned...I didn't work on the blog, I didn't go to Trader Joe's, and I didn't meet Ryan for lunch. Turns out, we got 7 inches of snow on Sunday evening/Monday morning so Ryan urged me to stay home and not trek across the cities to meet him or to trek further north to TJ's. So, instead of spending a couple hours driving, I was a cleaning machine. I even cleaned the dust from the ceiling fan!

I also worked on my never-ending recipe project of transferring recipes from magazines onto my formatted recipe cards. I think I got rid of over 15 magazines - woo hoo, only like 100 more to go!

Here's one recipe book that I use a lot...VwaV. Ryan and I have been trying to use up ingredients from our cupboards and freezer, so Fettuccini Alfreda fit right in.

















We really liked this. We used our old food processor (should have used the new one), so the sauce was a bit chunky, but I liked the bites of onion. I also really like nutritional yeast, so it made for a great cheesy sauce. We wished we had some great steamed veggies to serve with the pasta, but ended up adding some spinach later.

8 comments:

  1. ohh.. that dang snow, huh? foiled your plans.. but, I must say I am impressed you decided to do some gung-ho cleaning.. I could sure use that around my house about now..
    I tried that alfreda recipe, but it just didn't strike my fancy. There is a good one in the uncheese cook book that uses white beans and corn of all things for its base. A weird combo but, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a great day to spend indoors.

    The pasta looks great - I love nutritional yeast too, but it took a while to grow on me. Did you use whole wheat noodles and white noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see how clean your house is if you were trapped there a couple days :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you had ventured out in the snow to meet Ryan . . . especially after I heard from Ron that it took Ryan an hour and 20 minutes to get to work. I'm glad you stayed home. Sounds like you were very productive . . . the ceiling fan????

    I've had fun sticking little tabs on the sides of my cookbooks and food magazines, but I have yet to actually get rid of one. That will be somewhere probably in the not so near future :) I have picked out some new recipes from my Viva Le Vegan! cookbook and am looking forward to trying them.

    Is it the nutritional yeast that makes the sauce brown instead of white? Showing my lack of ignorance again . . . or should I say my desire to learn?

    Love You -

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow! You are sooo lucky :) Dinner looks nice and belly-warming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Crystal! It's been too long since I've visited your blog, and WAY too long since we've gotten together! I think I'm going to start temping here in a couple of weeks, in the hopes that something turns into a permanent job. Perhaps once things slow down, we can have a potluck dinner??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try that recipe... I have a love/hate relationship with nut yeast... I love it when I use it as it is... but when I try to replace something else with it, I am always disappointed.. but it's all about my expectations.. as long as I don't think of it as cheese sauce, I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Crystal. I had an 2 ice days and did the exact same thing! I found some great long lost recipes. Your alfreda looks super. I haven't tried that recipe yet, but it's one I've been wanting to try.

    I mentioned you a couple of times in my post about chik'n and dumplings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...