My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Cannoli & Overnight Oatmeal

I never was an oatmeal fan as a kid. It's not that I didn't want to be, I just didn't like it. I remember several times where my aunt and uncle would try to get me to eat Malt O Meal and other similar individual servings of oatmeal. I tried at least! A couple years ago I ventured into oatmeal land on my own using plain oatmeal and adding some dried fruit and a sprinkle of brown sugar. It took a few tries, but eventually I started liking it.

After watching Alton Brown and learning about steel cut oats, I knew I had to try it. He had a great recipe for Overnight Oatmeal in the slow cooker. It involves steel cut oats, dried figs, dried prunes, dried cranberries and water. Turn it on low overnight and it's ready in the morning. We added soymilk instead of cream before serving. The finished product is not the best looking, but it is fantastic for breakfast! Here's a picture of the "before cooking" stage:

















Ryan and I are big fans of Mike's Pastry in Boston and I try to bring cannoli home when I travel out there for work. However, my work travel has slowed down a bit and we decided to take things into our own hands. I bought some cannoli shells and followed the recipe on the back. It's nothing compared to Mike's, but if you use fat-free ricotta and fat-free Cool Whip, it makes for a good lower calorie treat!























We made the slightly higher in fat version for everyone on Christmas Eve and they were gobbled up. It's just the right amount of "treat" on a late night.

10 comments:

  1. I always mean to make overnight oatmeal, or anything in my slow cooker for that matter, but don't do it nearly often enough. I'm so happy that fellow bloggers remind me with all their wonderful slow cooker recipes and ideas! Your oatmeal looks great! One way I like mine is with earth balance, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you are out here we are so going to Mikes!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat my oatmeal exactly how Bazu eats here. Sometimes though instead of Earth Balance I use soymilk. I like the idea of overnight oatmeal though. All ready and waiting for you when you get up. Yum!

    Would you believe I've never had cannoli? I've lived in CA almost all of my life. Maybe it's more of an east coast thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have never had a connoli..sounds good though.
    The only way that I can eat oatmeal is w/ a splash of syrup.. I am not a big fan of it though, either.
    Happy New Year by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum on the cannoli. I like oatmeal, but can only do it if it's cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that AB episode and the oatmeal sounded so easy and tasty. And the orange seitan on your previous post looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that oatmeal... steel cut oats are amazing ... and the crockpot makes them so easy to enjoy..

    also, your Orange Seitan in your last post looks sooo good. I'm going to make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cannoli looks amazing, so beautiful.

    I want to try making crock pot oatmeal sometime soon, too. It seems to easy to just wake up to breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cannoli looks totally good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learn something new everyday. I didn't know you didn't like oatmeal as a kid.

    Interesting . . . oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon added. I'll have to give that one a try.

    Okay . . . once again, I am showing my lack of cooking knowledge. What are steel cut oats? The overnight oatmeal sounds amazing. I will have to give this one a try. You have already made my breakfast so much more enjoyable with the addition of your Grobnola (registered trademark)!

    I can attest to how wonderful the cannoli was. All of us, except the pregnant one, gobbled them up!

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...