My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Brooklyn Pad Thai

A follow-up note to my last post: Just to be clear, I typically don't clean. It was a rare occurrence that I cleaned. I'm usually fine living in moderate chaos. Ryan on the other hand, is a neat freak and I leave the cleaning up to him. Thank you, Ryan!!

Ok, now that we have that cleared up, onto another Vegan with a Vengeance recipe - the Brooklyn Pad Thai. We've made plenty of pad thai dishes before, but now that I've tried this one, it's going to be the one we stick with. I made a few alterations such as lowering the sugar drastically as well as reducing the oil. I don't think it affected the taste of the dish at all. I'm just not one for super sweet sauces.



















A big tip that Isa gives in the book is to cook the pad thai in 2 batches to avoid stickiness and boy did that tip work! We were thrilled with the outcome of this dish and it had just the right amount of spice for us.

I brought the leftovers to lunch the next day and some of my girlfriends asked for the recipe because it looked so good. Not only did they ask for the recipe, Rachel actually made it for her and her guests (who also loved it)! I think that's one of the first times that has happened to me. Usually when I give a recipe to someone, it takes awhile for them to try it, but not in this case :) It's neat to hear what others think about the same recipe.

8 comments:

  1. That's super cook about your friends asking for the recipe! Even cooler that the one made it! YAY!

    Great pic!

    PS: I don't often clean either...or when I do...it's a mess again in days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I make a pad thai from Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry, which is a fabulous cookbook. I will have to try soaking my noodles twice next time.

    I have given recipes to friends, and I rarely hear anything back about it. Actually, yesterday at work I came across my whipped shortbread recipe that I had given to a co-worker before Christmas. It was folded and tucked way back on a shelf. Hm, guess she never tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried this recipe - but with that rave review, I just may have to soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does this come with a ton of 'tude? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm... I love pad Thai. I like mine sweet. I still don't have the VWAV cookbook. You were posting recipes a while back...I'd love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pad thai is one of my all time favorites! I haven't tried that one yet..
    so about that fettuccine alfonso-I was looking in my uncheese cookbook and have a little side note about adding dashes of nutmeg, oregano, basil, garlic and a dollop of miso.. I guess I altered it more then I though,. it is a good base though, really

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really good! I have found that most of Isa's recipes are a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm, i love pad thai! i haven't made isa's yet, but certainly will now that i have your rave review & enticing photo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...