My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Canton-Style Chicken Noodles

I had a great time at our first of many holiday parties last night/last afternoon. It started at 3:30pm and was supposed to end at 5:30pm. Somehow I managed to stay for the afterparty in the bar until 7:30pm. When I got home, I felt like it was time to go to bed. What a weird feeling since we started so early!

The cool thing about our party was it was held at a sports bar/restaurant where I had 4 friends working last night. Danny, my to-be brother-in-law was our server and his brother was our bartender along with another friend of ours. The third brother was also present, but doesn't work there. So, I was surrounded by coworkers and friends all night.

Since I just grazed on appetizers, I didn't make dinner last night but will share something we recently made. Yep, we actually made some chicken. It's been a long time since we've made chicken and it was good. I sought out a free-range organic chicken breast from Valley Natural Foods for this recipe.

I also went out of my way to buy shoyu sauce only to find out that it is the Japanese word for soy sauce (which I had plenty of at home). Argh...I should have been smarter.
















Canton-Style Chicken Noodles

1 tbsp canola oil
4 oz. chicken breast, chopped
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 c. snow peas
2 large tomatoes, cubed
¼ c. ketchup
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp shoyu
2 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
8 oz. thin udon

Put a pot of water on to boil for the noodles. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Add chicken to the pan and stir fry until browned, about 3 minutes. Add scallions, snow peas, and tomato and gently stir-fry. When tomatoes are soft and juicy, stir together the sauce ingredients and pour into the pan. Stir carefully.

Cook noodles and drain, add to pan and toss with stir-fry. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...chicken...for realz? I don't buy it...it must be like Chic-ON-fu or something like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are on an asian tangent. That's okay, looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken . . . one of my favorites, as you know. I think Ron would like this one too! Looks really good.

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...