My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Butternut Squash Soup

Hope everyone had a great holiday break...perhaps you're still on a holiday break. I would love to be, but I'm here plugging away at work. It's a tough time a year to get ahold of candidates, managers, etc. and continue progressing forward, but a lot of research can be accomplished, so that's good.

Onto the food:

I seem to have gone into soup making mode lately. The latest soup to be made is Butternut Squash Soup. Typically when I think of Butternut Squash Soup, I think of a puree, but this was not completely the case.

Pulling from a recent Food & Wine issue, we pureed a bunch of cooked veggies like leeks, butternut squash, and celery with some veggie broth. I left some of the leeks whole to add later. The puree was combined with kale, corn, red pepper, carrots and pinto beans. I really wanted to use black eyed peas, but we were out. It was garnished with salt and pepper instead of bacon.



















This soup turned out really well. Next time I'll leave some of the butternut squash diced too instead of pureed, but it made a sweet and creamy base. This recipe made so much that we had to send some over to Ryan's mom, which she enjoyed too.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds really healthy and delicious. I bet a sprinkling of Bac'Uns (Vegan bacon bits) would have also been nice.

    Have a safe and happy New Years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's funny....I've only had butternut squash pureed too. This is a nice, interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks great. It sounds like such a comforting soup, something to eat on really cold days. I like the idea of pureeing some ingredients, but not all. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always key to have a good texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year!

    What a pretty soup. I would like some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky me that I got some of this soup. I love it when you have too much food :) You know I'll always take it!! I loved how you added the leeks later and that they weren't completely wilty and cooked. This soup was awesome.

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year!
    Love how the soup looks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...