My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Buckwheat Salad with Mushrooms & Parsley Oil

Due to some previous work travel, I ended up with a bunch of airline miles for American Airlines although I rarely travel on that airline. So, I used my miles for a magazine subscription to Food and Wine. I'm pretty happy with that choice as they have some great recipes.

I was pulled toward a section by Melissa Clark who had slimmed down by eating smaller portions and eating healthier. One of her recipes featured was Buckwheat Salad with Mushrooms and Parsley Oil. I had never tried buckwheat groats (also known as Kasha) so I was eager to try it.

This recipe was easy to make although I seemed to make a mess! The recipe can be found here.


















Buckwheat groats are hearty and taste very good. We weren't fans of the fennel, but I could tolerate some of it. We found that this meal was better the next day when the mushrooms and buckwheat were able to soak up the lemon juice and other seasonings.

Buckwheat is one of the world's healthiest foods and is a high quality protein that provides all eight of the essential amino acids. Did you know that it's actually a fruit seed related to rhubarb? Very cool.

7 comments:

  1. fennel is REALLY good steamed and mashed like potatoes...really good. and very low carb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have guessed that buckwheat is a fruit. I do know, however, that this stuff was really good. Thanks for sharing it with me. I haven't been eating as healthy lately, and I can tell. After the holidays, I'll have to try several of your wonderful recipes :)

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with the word "groat" in it deserves consideration ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, hearty wintery dish. It's 65 degrees here in Philadelphia today--I feel llike I should be eating salad instead of winter fare. Thank you, global warming.

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry christmas. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you both had a very Merry Christmas!! I don't think I've had kasha before either. I've bookmarked the recipe. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...