My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Brussels Sprouts & Cinnamon Buttered Gnocchi

I never realized this before, but I love brussels sprouts. I don't think my mom ever served them when we were kids, which was probably a good thing. A few months ago, I decided I wanted to try them and that started my love for brussels sprouts.

I had a major craving for them lately, but we didn't have much to serve them with. We did, however, have a thing of gnocchi (okay, who am I kidding, being the pantry stocker I am, we had 2 things of gnocchi). Having watched an episode of Giada De Laurentiis recently, I took her idea of making Cinnamon Buttered Gnocchi.

The brussels sprouts were easy - boiled them, cut them in half, and sauteed with garlic and olive oil. We seasoned them with garlic vinegar.

















For the gnocchi, they were boiled, drained, and sauteed in cinnamon flavored butter and sprinkled with additional cinnamon and sugar.

















The two dishes don't quite go together, but they were good. We probably wouldn't make the Cinnamon Buttered Gnocchi again because of all the butter and lack of flavor, but they were good for a one-time try.

6 comments:

  1. Brussel sprouts are at the top of my list of favorite vegetables. Try slicing them thinly - like you would cabbage - and saute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brussels sprouts too. And I'm sure I hated them as a kid because my mom cooked them to mush.

    And I'm with Taylor - shredded sprouts are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Brussel sprouts looks really good. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoy brussel sprouts but hubby isn't very fond of them. I haven't tried them shredded so I'm looking forward to having them that way. I never would have thought of cinnamon buttered gnocchi but it sounds delicious. Too bad it didn't have much flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever had good brussel sprouts, but they sound great! I know gnocchi is really good because you've given me some, but I've got to say . . . the picture reminds me of larvae :) Of course, I'd still eat it!!

    Love You,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane - I think you hit it on the head. I thought it looked unusual, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Larvae it is!

    Crystal - someday your hubby will like Brussels sprouts...someday

    Johanna - happy holidays to you too - your website is looking great!

    Atx & Taylor - I have a recipe for shredded ones...I may have gotten it from your site, Atxvegn. Can't remember, but will try soon.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...