My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Lentil and Vegetable Soup

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and hopefully you got a break like I did. It was nice to be able to see family and catch up on some neglected projects. I don't have any pictures from my holiday meals, but be assured that they were great!

As I'm trying to get more veggies and more fiber in my diet, I thought this recipe would be a good one to try so I put on my apron and started chopping.

I had everything together in about 30 minutes, put it on the stove, and had a fantastic meal. Ryan was excited when he heard he could have a bowl of soup after a long day instead of a piece of toast or some other quick snack. The soup actually provided 5 servings, so we have plenty for lunch over the next couple days.






















This recipe is from Canyon Valley Ranch's spa, unfortunately obtained from a magazine, not an actual spa visit!


Lentil and Vegetable Soup
(4 servings)

1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 c. celery, diced
1/3 c. white onions, diced
1/3 c. carrots, diced
3 tbsp shallots, diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 qt. vegetable stock
1 c. dry brown lentils
2 tsp whole-grain mustard
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
½ tsp salt (optional
¼ tsp pepper

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté celery, onions, carrots, shallots and garlic until onions are translucent. Add vegetable stock and lentils. Cook uncovered until lentils are just tender, but not too soft. Before serving, add mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.

8 comments:

  1. yum! looks quick, easy and good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hrm...could be interesting though I don't love lentils

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentil soup, but so far I've only had Progresso. Yeah, I know. Probably full of all kinds of stuff that's not good for me. So I'm glad I now have a recipe. It sounds very tasty!

    Glad you had a rest from work, even though you like your new job. It gives renewed energy to take a long weekend break. Hope you found some clothes when you went shopping on Friday evening.

    I Love You!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was in a magic restaurant (called Cafe Cyan, perhaps?) and could order this soup and the tofu and bok choy from your previous post for dinner! How yummy and healthy.

    Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and got some rest and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Looks very satisfying. Now all you need is a trip to that spa

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lentils are my new fave thing to eat and this soup looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One cannot have too many soup recipes.

    :) Mikaela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mikaela - nice to see you on here, I haven't visted your blog in a long time. It's overdue!

    Atxvegn - I love lentils too. Yum! I hope to make another dish soon with them.

    Teddy - I would love the spa trip. It would be really cool to do that for a few days.

    Bazu - Cafe Cyan the restaurant is probably quite a few years away. It's always a possibility and you could defintely be a guest!

    Diane - try this one - you'll love it. It's so dang easy too.

    Jeff - someday I'll totally read about you making lentils on your blog. I just know it!

    Johanna - hope you get a chance to try it.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...