My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, November 13, 2006

Chicken Style Seitan Goodness

Since we liked the other setian we made, I thought it would be good to make a Chicken Style Seitan from the Real Food Daily cookbook. It was super easy to make – just put all the ingredients together and bake for 2 hours in a square pan. The recipe made 4 pounds, 3 of which we stuck in the freezer for later use.

We did get some good meals of the first pound. First, we had a bunch of bok choy from my Oriental Market shopping trip. So, we stir fried carrots, mini bell peppers, shallots, bok choy and chicken seitan.
















We added a sauce to the dish, but I can’t quite remember what was in it…I want to say veggie broth and soy sauce and a few spices. It was served over rice and topped with toasted cashews. Overall, a pretty easy dish with lots of veggies.



















Next, we come to my favorite meal with seitan…Black Bean and Seitan Tacos, which is a recipe I pulled from a Cooking Light issue quite a few years ago before I even knew what seitan was! Ryan was nice enough to make this - he told me to sit down and read a magazine or something. Ryan is great in the kitchen, but I have a hard time sitting still and not trying to help so he had to often shoo me away.

Here’s the recipe, I encourage you to try it:

Black Bean & Seitan Tacos
(6 servings)

2 tsp olive oil
¾ cup chopped onion
½ tsp dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tbsp dry sherry
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, undrained
8 oz. seitan, finely chopped
½ tsp black pepper
12 taco shells
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
Avocados or other desired toppings

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, oregano, garlic, and jalapeño; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sherry, soy sauce, beans, and seitan, bring to a boil. Cook 7 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with black pepper.

Prepare taco shells according to package directions. Spoon about 1/3 cup bean mixture into each shell; top each taco with lettuce, avocados, and other toppings.

----
We used blue corn taco shells and tried Tofutti Better than Sour Cream for the first time. The sour cream was great - hard to tell the difference. However, I'm bummed by the ingredient list because it is a lot more confusing than dairy sour cream.
















For lunch the next day, we made a taco salad out of this with some tortilla chips. It was so dang good, I loved it!

Yesterday we gave Ryan's mom a pound of the seitan, so we still have 2 pounds left if anyone has ideas for us. Let us know.

11 comments:

  1. What seitan recipe are you using? I just made seitan from VWAV, and was a little dissapointed with it - even though everyone raves about it. Many years ago I made it the hard way - starting with flour and rinsing it until gluten was left. It's been so long that I don't remember the texture that well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stirfry looks delicious and so do the tacos. Thanks for posting the recipe. I will definitely use part of my seitan to make tacos.

    Also, your broccoli salad was fabulous. I know it has broccoli, celery, green grapes, raisins (golden and regular?) and sunflower seeds for on top, but I'll need to know what else, if anything, you put in there and what the dressing is. Even though Ron doesn't like broccoli, I will be making this for myself, company or a dish to bring somewhere. I will be finishing off the rest of it this afternoon.

    Fun seeing you guys yesterday and cooking the Falafel skewers and the brie cheese . . . nummy :)!!!! Your presence is always a blessing!

    Love You Tons,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the RFD cookbook. It's good to know the seitan recipe is easy and tasty.

    The tacos look super! What a sweetie Ryan is to make those for you. And taco salad leftovers too! I eat a taco salad almost everyday for lunch - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried recipes that bake the seitan rather than boil it. It'd like to cause I'm interested in how the texture turns out as well! I've never had a home-made seitan that I love the texture of yet...but I'm still trying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those veggies look so beautiful and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't mind my previous question. I just re-read the post. The seitan recipe was from Real Food Daily, which I don't have. Does the recipe look something like the one in the middle of this page? It's supposed to be from RFD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so stoked that you guys are eating lots of vegan foods!! Seitan can be used pretty much anywhere or for anything you would normally eat meat with. You can grind it up in your food processor and add it to chili, soups, and spaghetti sauce or use it to top pizza or put in spring/egg rolls. You can slice it super thin and eat it on sandwiches. You can make baked nuggets out of it. Chinese food is delicious with seitan (think General Tso or Orange "chicken"). If you're sauteing seitan, dry it first with paper towels so it browns nicely.

    Can't wait to see what else you make out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crap-tastic, non-working link! A little cut and paste into the browser maybe?

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_31657,00.html

    I'll try it again, too.

    It seems like the same recipe from what you're telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taylor - great link - that's exactly the recipe I'm talking about!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is all so beautiful- thanks for the recipe! I love the purple taco shells. One of my favorite ways to eat seitan is with BBQ sauce. It's cool that you have so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those tacos look so delicious! sometimes it's fun to kick back in the kitchen and watch the action - way to go ryan. do you recommend Real Food Daily cookbook? check it out, i've moved. hope you'll update me & visit. happy tofurkey day! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...