My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, October 5, 2006

Stuffed Peppers and Ooey Gooey Dessert

One of my favorite meals that my mom used to make was Stuffed Peppers. It was one of the recipes that I first asked her for while I was in college. They weren’t necessarily unhealthy at the time, but I wanted to make them healthier. So, I started substituting ground turkey for the ground beef and brown rice for the white rice and adding other veggies. Now, I’ve decided to alter them once again. I substituted Morningstar Farms crumbles for the ground turkey and it turned out great!

Here are the ingredients cooking:
















Stuffed Peppers

2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 pkg. Morningstar Farms crumbles (beef substitute)
¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove, chopped
Salt and pepper
¼ tsp garlic salt
¼ cup corn
Mozzarella cheese (if desired)
¾ cup water
1/3 cup ketchup
2 bell peppers (any color)
Fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, cook brown rice per package directions. Wash peppers; chop tops of peppers and reserve. Make sure the peppers can stand up. If not, carefully slice little pieces off the bottoms until they can stand upright. Parboil peppers in boiling water for 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, sauté onion and garlic in large skillet in a small amount of olive oil. When onions turn translucent, add crumbles and cook until defrosted. Stir in salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Add corn, chopped pepper tops, cheese and 1 cup of the rice. Mix water and ketchup in a small bowl; pour 1 cup over crumble mixture. Stuff mixture into pepper bottoms and place in a baking dish. Add remaining mixture and rice to dish surrounding peppers. Pour tomato sauce over top.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until browned on top. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

















I also made Dreena’s Ooey Gooey bars (I can’t remember the real name of them right now), but they were great! Ryan and I couldn’t keep our hands off of them and they were gone within a few days. I would love to bring this to a gathering.
















Last night was my second writing class where we rediscovered our relationship and history with writing. It was very neat to revisit some old memories of note-notebooks, penpals, and forms of journaling. Each class helps me brainstorm and think of writing ideas – it gets me “unstuck”.

Today the sun is shining, but it is deceiving as there is quite a chill out there. No winter jackets yet, so I’m still happy!

20 comments:

  1. This is the 3rd Stuffed Pepper Post I have seen today...but they all have been very different!!! ;)

    Oh! For a warm or cold take-to-work lunch try VwaV's Garlicky Kale with Tahini Dressing! (I added 3 times as much balsamic vinegar tho)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bars look too damn good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I am so happy that your workplace's chef is asking for your input! That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom's recipes are the best! I've been eating crap loads of stuffed peppers due to planting them as ornamentals in client's beds. I'm trying to think of how to make cucumbers and squash attractive and inconspicuous for next year! Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay...LOVE stuffed peppers. Those bars look like what I just posted on my site. They are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just laughed out loud! A hammer, huh? One time when we were visiting friends (American) in St. Petersburg, they used a hand held drill to mix the batter for a dessert because they didn't have a kitchen mixer. I guess tools are tools! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made your old version of stuffed peppers with ground turkey just recently.

    That's seems like a good idea using the crumbles.

    And of course the ooey gooey bars look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hy Crystal! It's been too long since I've left people comments. Stuffed peppers = yum. I haven't made them veg yet, but remembered liking them "back in the day." :) Glad to hear your new job is awesome! That tofu stew looks incredible, too. And Afton Apple Orchard! Hooray! I'm going to an apple orchard with friends on Sunday -- we haven't picked an orchard yet, but my vote is for Afton (I was there a couple of years ago.) ALSO, I am headed to the MOA tonight, and Michelle is going to buy those mittens at H&M for me with her discount! (Shhh!)
    P.S. I have an interview on Monday -- a teaching position that pays poorly. (Less than $24,000 a year!) I am also applying for part-time retail jobs to supplement my income. Bah. We should go to Kitchen Window soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I've been reading your blog for a long time, but I'm not sure I ever left comments. This post was so fabulous that I just had to write and say it looks great! I've been craving stuffed peppers lately, and I also have a veganized recipe from my mom! Thanks for the inspiration. Oh, and the ooey gooey bars, which book are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. as always your food looks super good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stuffed peppers sound so yummy & comforting right now--with the chill in the air.

    Those gooey bars look sinful, in a good way ;)

    Glad you're enjoying your writing class.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thosew goooey bars look like a cavity waiting to happen. I'll take it!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  13. parboiling the peppers sounds like a great idea. I usually make them just in the oven, but they take forever to cook!

    megan the vegan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to try the Morningstar Farms crumble in your mom's stuffed pepper recipe, which I absolutely love!

    Those ooey gooey bars look very similar to a bar we used to call delicious bars, but I'm sure yours are healthier.

    I'm trying to remember . . . is your writing class for six weeks total?

    Have a Super Day!! Love you!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, so the stuffed peppers are insane and i think it is so cool that you are making healthy/ier something that your mom made. Way to use the M*star crumbles!! Nice going.... But, Crystal, i gotta tell ya... that dessert... outrageous!! Oooey gooey bars... oh wow, so beautiful and i'm sure so tasty... mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those ooey gooey bars look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i adore stuffed peppers, too, and i'd love it whenever my mom made them. i haven't had one in so long, but i have had stuffed cabbage recently. so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stuffed peppers are my ultimate comfort food! I've been searching for a good veggie recipe for ages. Can't wait to try this one out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,

    I know this blog was posted a couple of months ago, but I just came across it today and was wondering if you would be willing to give me the recipe for the ooey gooey bars? They look scruptious! My email is agrahamcracker@yaoo.com if you are willing. Thanks!

    Sincerely,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...