My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, October 2, 2006

Oh Miso Gravy

Hope everyone had a great weekend! My Saturday was filled with volunteer activities; I walked with Ryan’s family in the ALS Walk in the morning. This is a yearly event we do in honor of his uncle, Paul, who died of ALS about 4 years ago. Then, I volunteered at the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the evening. It was a ton of fun to interact with such giving people and neat to see all the balloons lit up around Lake Phalen (yeah, one of our 10,000+ lakes).

After coming home late from the walk, Ryan had some tofu pressed, so we made the most fantastic meal…Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy from Vegan With a Vengeance. This meal…is…to…die for! When I read the title, I thought, “Who wants stewed tofu?” Well, apparently, I do!
















For those of you without this cookbook, it is gravy made out of mostly white wine and miso. Then you add onions, cremini mushrooms, garlic, herbs, potatoes and tofu. It tastes like Thanksgiving and should be made more often. Diane, I think this will be a recipe for our tofu workshop.

~-~-~-~-~-
Sidebar from the food – I started my new job today and it rocks. I think I am going to be very happy. I am a Senior Recruiter for a large, international, corporate organization and it has a large campus with amenities like Caribou Coffee and a shuttle to and from the YMCA during lunch hour. My team is great, my boss is great and I hope everything continues to go well.

We were released early today so I jumped on the opportunity to drive down to Afton Apple Orchard and pick apples and raspberries. I usually go with Ryan or my sister, but neither could go with me and I was crunched on time, so I went by my lonesome.
































I picked 3 pecks of apples (1 peck for my sister, Jill) and 2 pints of raspberries – white and pink. I only had 1 hour and 15 minutes to get it all done, so I got a good workout in too. The apples are a mix of Red Barron, Honey Gold and Sweet 16. I’m planning on making a pie (or two) and some applesauce. I’m very excited I made it down there as I thought we might not have a chance to this year.

13 comments:

  1. I volunteer every week too, doesn't it feel good? I love where I volunteer, I actually kind of wished I worked there because I like it better!
    That tofu sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a job you like. Plus, they let you go early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a TRUCKLOAD of apples!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have NEVER seen white and pink raspberries, only red. What do they taste like? Different from red?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Those raspberries look yummers! I replied to your comment on my blog! Hope it helps. Oh! I think you would love it at the Veggin Out Forums. There are so many ideas there! Um, there is another lady who is 80-90 percent veg (not totally veg) and is a member. She said she would post only veggie things so even if you aren't totally veg...feel free to register...I think you would like it there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harmonia - thanks, I'd love the chance to register - I just never want to misrepresent myself! Veggin Out will be a fantastic resource for me

    Claire - they taste similar to red raspberries, but slightly different. I personally think the pink ones taste like strawberries. They also seem more tender.

    Jeff - yes, almost a truckload. I'm kinda thinking I picked too many now!!!

    Taylor - I love leaving early...actually, I love coming in late and leaving early, but I probably can't do both :( Maybe someday...

    Judy - it feels great! I used to be more involved in college (smaller town and it was so easy).

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s so great that you volunteered and did the ALS Walk. I’m just starting my fundraising for AIDS Walk this year, it’s less than 2 weeks away now so I’m a little late in getting that going.

    I made that stewed tofu in miso gravy, it is totally delicious and pretty easy to prepare. I should make that again soon.

    My Catholic school used to take us on a field trip to the afton orchard every year. I loved that place, haven’t been there in ages. I’m a big fan of the hot apple cider. Can’t wait to hear how the pie turns out! I’m partial to apple crisps myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lot of apples and rasberries!

    I haven't been to the Afton apple farms since last year, when I went on a field trip with 150 kids. It was cold and chilly, and we never got time to stop and get apples!

    I think I'll have to make up for last year and go get some from the farm! Yay!

    ~ Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those raspberries look awesome! i love to see american fruits that i never know exist, thanks for share the photo!
    i will try the stewed tofu. looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm extremely jealous of your raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You busy bodies you! :o) I adore your raspberries!!!

    Nice that you did that ALS Walk. Sorry about Ryan's uncle Paul... i'm so glad you do the walk in his honour, that is really wonderful, as is your volunteering for the Light the Night Walk for Leukemia & Lymphoma. It must have been gorgeous around the lake with the lit balloons!

    Yer stewed tofu and potatoes in miso gravy... wowza! That must have been soooooooo gravy, i mean groovy!

    Thrilled about your new job and how yer happy there! Good for you! May it continue to bring you joy and success. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal -

    Yes, I totally think that we should try the tofu in miso gravey. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious. Can't wait to start using tofu in my meals.

    My mouth is also watering looking at those raspberries and apples. If it was me, the raspberries probably would not have even made it home. I'd have them gone in seconds flat.

    Thanks for honoring Paul by mentioning him on your blog. It's another beautiful way of keeping his memory alive!! I really do miss him.

    Love You Tons,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd definitely go by my lonesome to pick those beautiful raspberries. Oh god, I just want to jump through the screen right now to get them. Mmmmm.

    Congrats on your new job. I'm glad that everything worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...