My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Chicken" and Dumplings

Time to fix another meal and this time, it's one of those comfort meals; Chicken and Dumplings. We originally got this recipe from Bisquik, but after reading the ingredients in Bisquik, we decided to make some changes.

Change #1: No more Bisquik biscuits! Now we make them from scratch. We use Sarah Kramer's recipe for Baking Powder Biscuits and have baggies of the dry mix stashed and ready to go.

Change #2: More veggies! Especially because we have a lot of frozen veggies in the freezer that we need to use up.

Change #3: No more chicken! Instead we used Quorn chicken cutlets. Cooked them up on the stovetop, cut into pieces and added to the mixture.

I have to say that I love the changes we have made. The final dish doesn't taste much different than the original and we feel so much better about eating this. Doesn't it look yummy?
















Here's the recipe. If you want the biscuit recipe, you'll have to buy Sarah Kramer's book, La Dolce Vegan (or e-mail me).

”Chicken” and Dumplings
(4 servings)


1 ½ cups skim milk
2 cups frozen peas and carrots or mixed vegetables
1 cup cooked Quorn chicken cutlets, diced
1 can condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
1 recipe Baking Powder Biscuits

Preheat oven to 450°. Mix together biscuit ingredients. Separate into eight pieces and place in a lightly greased muffin tin to bake. Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, heat milk, peas and carrots, "chicken" and soup to boiling in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Place cooked biscuits on top of mixture. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.

13 comments:

  1. my wife won't eat any 'meat tasting subsitute'...good times as those are they only ones I'll eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I didn't grow up with chicken and dumplings. I know lots of people like it, but I can't get past the wet biscuit.

    I had a friend that used to crumble cornbread into a glass of milk. That evokes the gag reflex, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow the ultimate comfort food.. I kept trying to think of a way to veganize my moms recipe.. cuz well, it was good.. I do believe maybe it was just the bisquick box recipe??? hmmmmmm. now I know.. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to comment yesterday, but stupid Blogger was doing it's usual.
    I've made a dish quite similar to this in the past and frankly, I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder. I think I used cream of potato soup though but most definitely the Quorn! I love that stuff! I love this post. Makes the impending winter seem a lot more tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Chicken and Dumplings recipe. I'll have to try it with the new changes. I still have a box of Bisquick that is almost gone, but after that I'll have to make the switch to Sarah Kramer's recipe, which, of course, I'll have to get from you. I love it when you make changes to my diet that are better for me, because you know me. I won't take the time to figure it out. Thanks for making us all healthier :)

    I Love You -

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane - thanks! Yes, you will have to make the switch unless you can understand what the heck is in Bisquik :)

    Carrie - thanks, I forgot to remove the "cream of chicken" part of the recipe and sub "cream of potato" Thanks for clarifying my thoughts for me :)

    Made in Alaska - I think this would be yummy with soymilk instead of real milk. Not sure what to do with the "cream of..." to make it vegan. Let me know what you create.

    Taylor - I commented back on your blog, but FYI, we can't stand soggy biscuits either, so that's why we bake them and then just gently place them on top of the mixture to soften a bit. YUM!

    Jeff - Yeah, some folks just don't like any resemblence of meat. I'm sure she could just omit it all together and it would still be great.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great and I think your changes are much much better than the original. I think your idea of keeping the bisquits in ziploc baggies ready to go is brilliant. I'll definitely give that a try. It sure beats Bisquick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks awesome! Tasty, quick, and simple. If it ever gets cold-ish here, I have to make this for my son. Quorn isn't vegan. However, I just found today at my asian market some tofu chik'n nuggets that I bet would work. You said "no more chicken," but you used cream of chicken soup. Perhaps a cornstarch slurry and some mushrooms with extra seasoning would do for vegans?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks frighteningly good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I just love dumpling anything. Is there anything better? And yours looks good. Since I'm vegan and my husband isn't, sometimes we compromise, and Quorn is one of those times. The stuff is good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE YOUR CHANGES! And the final result is so much better than the "regular" chicken & dumplings. GREAT JOB! I can't get over how amazing it looks. Really wonderful. I'm w/U.V., above. It looks frighteningly good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...that looks good! Chicken and Dumplings was my favorite meal as a child!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I would like to make those dumplings - I've never had them before and I wonder what they taste like. Could you please send me the recipe? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...