My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, September 29, 2006

Ravioli, Bananas and Orange Seitan

Happy Friday! We've only made a few proper meals this week. Otherwise, we've been eating non-blog worthy like veggie burgers with sauteed peppers, onions and mushrooms, chips and salsa, quesadillas, and other meal leftovers.

Here's an idea I got from watching the new Rachael Ray talk show. It's a ravioli lasagna and quite easy to make. Instead of doing a sauce from scratch, Ryan used a canned sauce with Morningstar Farms "beef" crumbles and layered it in a dish with cooked ravoli and topped it with mozzarella cheese. It's suggested as a great potluck dish because you just pop it in the oven for 10 minutes once you arrive.

















Then, Ryan treated me to a dessert of bananas wrapped in tortillas, crisped up in some oil and drizzled with a brown sugar-butter sauce. We served it alongside Dreena's Banana Ice Cream. Yum!
















Last night I decided to use up the leftover seitan which I had put in the freezer a few weeks ago. I went with Vivacious Vegan's idea of breading it and finishing it with an orange juice/soy sauce combo. It was great! I was craving some veggies too, so added green beans to the meal.
















On Wednesday, Catherine from Food Snob and I had a blogger meet-up at the Mall of America. It was really cool to meet her and we spent 2 1/2 hours shopping together...well, I admit, I did all the shopping while Catherine showed great restraint. We had a fantastic time and will be meeting up again in the near future.

On a side note, I start a new job on Monday (yes, I resigned from my old job and have had a few days off). I'm not sure how that is going to affect my cooking and blogging, but we'll see what the first few weeks hold. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. You need some nutella on those bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks delicious. We love bananas in tortillas. Sometimes for lunch, we take a tortilla, spread it with peanut butter, sprinkle with cinnamon (and honey for Marty), put in a banana (whole), and any other fresh fruit we have lying around (but it's also good with just the banana). Yum!

    So what's your new job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. bananas in a tortilla...that sounds amazing! brillian! The seitan looks yum too. Congrats on the new job...best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I dislike Rachel Ray (she's like a female Emeril), your ravioli lasagna does look pretty good. And dessert is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bananas are so impressive! Is there a recipe you can share?

    -jess from get sconed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some very seriously good eatin's there! The seitan situation is stellar! That ravioli lasagna looks INSANE! I would totally dig that in a big way.

    I can't believe bananas in tortillas with Dreena's ice cream... oh, that is so great. Love that plate as well!

    And how cool you met Catherine. That is very awesome. Sounds like a great time shoppin'!

    Good luck with the new job. I'm sending good thoughts your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish you the best in the new work!

    i like the idea of the banana-tortilla. never do it but i will try it.
    the seitan looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i forgot: nice idea of the ravioli lasagna, looks good and also is seems very easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new job- I'm still in the prcoess of figuring out what I want to do next!

    Yummy looking food too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I featured you on my blog today! Congrats on the new job! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was eating tortillas and nutella last week. I should have popped a banana in.

    I missed a connecting flight in Minneapolis the other week and drove past Mall of America on whatever highway that is. The Rainbow grocery store cracked me up. I was imaging it as a GLBT meca. We have SuperFresh here - meca for pimps. I love grocery store names. Piggly Wiggly takes them all, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...