My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Saturday, September 9, 2006

Crop Share #7 & Grilled Tomato Salsa

I picked up our 7th crop share Thursday night and of course it was filled with goodies. Here is what we have this time:

Baby Danvers carrots
Purple and green beans
Beets
Sweet red peppers (6)
Salad Mix
Mesclun Mix – arugula, mizuna, purple mustard greens
Herbs
Tomatoes – heirloom, romas, cherry
Swiss Chard
Onion
Garlic – Inchelium Red
















I am so excited that there is no dill in the salad mix again this week. When we were visiting the farm, Laura mentioned that dill was kinda done with, so we were excited to be able to eat the salad again. I really want to make a green tea tofu salad that I have a recipe for. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Also, amidst the pressure of making the Seitan Portobello Stroganoff, I managed to grill up a couple eggplants from my mom (for sandwiches), a jalapeno and the remainder of our tomatoes (some from our crop share and some from my mom’s garden). I chopped up the grilled jalapeno and grilled tomatoes to make a Grilled Tomato Salsa from Martha Stewart. After letting it sit overnight, I tried it and it was sPiCy!
















Ryan will be excited about this one. I also added some red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt and served it with Blue Corn chips from Garden of Eatin. Yum!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. My birthday is on Tuesday, so the weeklong celebration began last night. Not sure what's on tap for tonight, but I'm hoping to go raspberry picking this weekend.

17 comments:

  1. oooh...i LOVE LOVE LOVE salsa.

    in fact, i'd eat that once a day if i didn't have to have it on chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forget ryan being excited about it

    I AM

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Marty likes things spicy.

    In response to your question on my blog, I was in the mortgage industry and Marty is a computer genius.

    Do you like being a recruiter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some salsa last weekend and got tomatoes to make more this weekend! Yummy stuff. Hope you have fun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grilled tomato salsa sounds delish. The spicier the better is my motto. And a few days early but Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cropshare is great as usual... next year... I will do this.

    Love the salsa..

    and.. I love your comments.. It's good to hear from both perspectives... I used to love interviews too... (probably because I was never rejected)

    I'm sure you'll find a GREAT job.. you seem to have a vibrant spirit and I'm sure any company will be lucky to have you working for them.
    My mom made a ton of money in recruiting a while back..

    Your stroganoff and carrot cake look great too...

    -melody
    melomeals.blogspot.com


    So, as a meat eater, what do you think of seitan? I'm not a huge fan.. but I've never eaten meat.. my husband really likes it.. and he grew up eating meat and still does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. home made salsa is to die for! Yum!

    megan the vegan

    ReplyDelete
  8. so many september birthdays! Happy pre-birthday! My hushand's birthday is next weekend.

    By the way, good luck with the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  9. H
    A
    P
    P
    Y

    (early)

    B
    I
    R
    T
    H
    D
    A
    Y
    !

    Love your crop share - so wonderful, all of it!

    No dill = i'm happy too!

    Green tea tofu salad? What the ????????? intereting!!!

    Hope you're out celebratin' Y-O-U!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!

    With all the gorgeous stroganoff going on, I succumbed and made some last night. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fresh salsa is so monay! Happy B day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to be part of the crop share next year. I am glad you're celebrating your birthday in weeklong style . . . you deserve some special treatment!!! Looking forward to our part of the celebration with you on Friday night. Hope you got to go pick some raspberries. Is that down by Cannon Falls?

    Have a Good One - Love You!

    Mom/Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Crystal-Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh! Everytime I come over here and see your crop share goodies, I'm so jealous! I'm loving the salsa. It looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blue Corn Chips! My fave! Oh and Salsa...don't get me started!

    Have you tried 1/2 jar of salsa or about a cup of your own and a large avocado! HEAVEN!

    Great pic - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks so good , i love salsa!

    johanna3
    http://tropicalvegetarianfamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. BIRTHDAY GIRL! Danny and I are so excited about Friday! Should be fun!
    I just got myself up on your blog so sorry about the lack of comments, not sure how far back you look!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...