My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Calabacitas with Polenta

Ok, so I don't really know what Calabacitas means, but that's what Rachael Ray named the recipe. It was called Calabacitas Casserole with Polenta and Cheese, but not being fans of anything named "casserole" or "goulash", we had to change it up a bit and remove the casserole part altogether.

I sliced the premade polenta into 1/2-inch slices and grilled them on our stovetop grill. I then chopped up a bunch of veggies:

- sweet corn from a friend's farm
- garlic, green onions, yellow squash and zucchini from our crop share
- jalapeno from my mom's garden
- onion and tomatoes from the local store
















These all were sauteed until tender. I then put a spoon of the topping on each polenta slice and topped with some pepperjack cheese.
















Then they were broiled for 5 minutes and garnished with sliced green onion.




















It was a light and tasty dish. The jalapeno helped spice it up a bit and the rest of the veggies made it more filling. This was our first time having and using polenta and it was a success! These would be great as little appetizers or as a main meal. We each ate 2 of them with a bit of leftover salads on the side.

8 comments:

  1. Swankay!! Looks like it could be a fun appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking for the vegan jello shots I could use agar powder instead of gelatin. I've never used it before...have you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum.. I make a "casserole" similar to this, but with homemade polenta in a 9 by 13 pan... and veggies on top.. I used to add cheese... now I'd do soycheese or cashew cheese...
    I've made this for my cooking classes and people love it. I can't wait til fall when I will really start cooking again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm pretty sure that calabacitas means little pumpkins or little squashes. calabazas = pumpkin, squash or gourd; cita = diminutive ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More polenta madness... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay - not sure what polenta is. Another term you'll have to fill me in on! They look good whatever it is!

    Love You,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...