My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vegetable Pancakes & Beet Salad

Ok, I think we have found a huge winner! These veggie pancakes we made over the weekend rocked and I can't wait to share (the recipe, not the food...make your own!!)

After not having eggs for the Eggplant Parmesan, we thought it would be good to have Ener-G Egg Replacer around the house just in case we run into future instances. Since we had the Ener-G on hand, we also thought it would be good to experiment with this recipe: one batch to use eggs and the other batch to use Ener-G.

I chopped up the veggies for the pancakes: onion, celery, green pepper and carrots. They all sautéed in a little bit of olive oil while I chopped the next ingredient: spinach. I divided this mixture in half. One half went into the bowl with real egg and Panko and the other half went into the Ener-G bowl with Panko. Once the mixture was combined, both bowls went into the fridge to set up a bit before forming into pancakes.


















A skillet was heated up with a bit of vegetable oil in it for light frying. I cooked the pancakes for a few minutes on each side and drained them on paper towels. Here’s where I started to notice the differences between egg and Ener-G: the egg ones barely drained at all on the towels and the Ener-G ones drained a ton of oil! There’s gotta be some kind of science associated with this, but I’m not a scientist so I’ll leave it alone.

Next, I noticed the egg version were more fluffy and filled with egg. The Ener-G version looked more appetizing and fresh.

Now for the taste test: Ener-G version won!! The pancakes were crispier, more flavorful, and all around tasted better. The egg ones were still good, but not great – we actually weren’t fans of the egg part. They were garnished with sour cream and cilantro and served with a beet salad, which Ryan made while I was making the pancakes.

















For the salad, Ryan peeled and diced the beets and cooked them in boiling water just like potatoes. We were originally going to use arugula for the salad, but the container we bought was bad (this is the 2nd time this has happened with Earthbound Organics salad mix and we just bought it the day before!!). So, we substituted watercress and spinach. We didn't use as much salad dressing as listed below, so we have some for other salads.

Here’s the recipe:
3 bunches fresh arugula, washed and trimmed
¾ cup crumbled blue cheese
¼ cup champagne vinegar
½ cup olive oil
2 cups beets, peeled, diced and cooked
½ cup thinly sliced celery
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ cup toasted walnut pieces

In a bottle or bowl, whisk vinegar and olive oil together. Add ½ cup blue cheese and combine. In a large bowl, toss ½ cup with arugula and arrange on salad plates. In the same large bowl, toss beets, celery, salt and pepper with remaining dressing; spoon over arugula. Sprinkle each serving with walnuts and additional blue cheese.

This was our first time eating beets and they were very good. Kinda earthy, but tasty too. It was good to try them with blue cheese first since I love almost anything with blue cheese on it! Ryan is starting to like blue cheese more and more. Looks like I've been a good influence on him. We can't wait to make these vegetable pancakes again; they were just that good!

9 comments:

  1. I never can get potato (or veggie) pancakes to do anything for me other than burn :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just got my first installment of beets in my crop share and have been looking for a recipe that does not involve turning on my oven to roast them. i can't wait to try your salad! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal, I'll have to try veggie pancakes, since I love latkes but make them as an only very occasional treat.

    To answer your question left on my blog, I looked up the movie on citypages.com and I think it's playing in a handfull of theatres, including one in Edina, which might be somewhat close to you guys! We're probably headed to the Lagoon, but then again, I can walk there from my apartment, so why go anywhere else, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you figured out how to make great veggie pancakes without egg.. I always used to bake and make bfast foods with eggs (I've never liked them, so I'd just make the foods my my family) and now I just make it vegan and they love it. I don't tell them. lol..

    Your beet salad looks delicious. I have to say, I miss blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the ener-g egg side by side test. That's great info. Also, the beet salad looks great. For me the beets on my salad would be pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting experiment. Doing things like that is always fun. And now you know which version you like for next time.
    As a kid growing up, I hated beets. Could be because I only ever had them boiled and put on my plate. Yea, that's really appetizing. My mom would make pickled beets which I loved, but that was the only way I could eat them. Once I got out on my own and started to experiment....I love them! If you've never made borscht, you must do it when the cool weather comes. And what an amazing colour! I've got a couple of other good recipes, but they involve the oven...so I don't think anyone is interested in those ones right about now. I think we're all melting all over North America. Good excuse to do the swimming part of your triathalon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how cool this post is. I know after seeing this post that i would love veggie pancakes! My mom makes potato pancakes, also known as "latkes" (i think EVERY Jewish mom makes latkes!) and i don't eat 'em because of the eggs (which i am allergic too but even if i wasn't, i wouldn't eat 'em!).

    But i am so giving her this recipe with the Ener-G to try next time she makes up a batch of the potato pancakes... with all the additional veggies. How amazing this is.

    I think it is so very interesting about the oil not coming off easily from the egg-used ones, and how much fresher the pancakes looked with the Ener-G. I'm no scientist either but methinks there is something to this.

    Thanks for a great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first comment I accidently deleted...oops!

    I just bought some of that egg replacer but haven't used it yet.

    I love the colorful food pic, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff - too bad about the burning. I used to have that problem too, but I guess there's something about this combo that works.

    Maltese - I'll have to check out your site from time to time and see how it turns out or if you make other things with the beets.

    Catherine - thanks for the info on the film. I hope to see it this weekend. We rarely go to movies as it is, but this is an important one.

    Melody - what your fam doesn't know won't hurt them...actually, it's much better for them! Blue cheese is def. distinctive and hard to replicate in a non-dairy version. I'm not aware of any - are you?

    Dori - I've never had pickled beets but I'm sure they are good.

    Carrie - if we get more beets, I'll have to hit you up for one of those recipes with the oven. It should cool down one of these days right?

    Kleo - Good! I'm also going to give a box of Ener-G to Ryan's mom. I think she would like it. I hope it work with the latkes for you.

    Harmonia - don't you just hate it when the comment deletes?!? aRgh. Hope you like the Ener-G - we've loved it so far.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...