My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Vegetable Lasagna

While looking at our crop share haul from the last week, I noticed we could use a lot of the ingredients for my Vegetable Lasagna. I say "my", but it's orginally from Cooking Light and just altered over the years :)

First, chop up a bunch of veggies: broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, and red pepper. Saute them in a bit of olive oil until softened and set aside.

Meanwhile, boil and cook lasagna noodles until al dente. Mix a bowl with cottage cheese, Swiss, and mozzarella and set aside. Also, make a white sauce with flour and milk over low heat. We typically add spinach to this white sauce, but decided to use collards instead.
















Once the greens have cooked down a bit, reserve some of the sauce and start layering the lasagna: white sauce, veggies, cheese mix, noodles and end with noodles. Smear the reserved white sauce over the noodles and bake.















Normally, this dish rocks. Unfortunately, this time it was just so-so. Maybe it was the collards or maybe I tried to make it all too fast. Who knows. We still enjoyed it and still have plenty of leftovers, so we should be able to pinpoint the issue one of these days!

7 comments:

  1. Maybe it was the broccoli, it is an evil veggie after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there are certain things you just don't do with collards. I swear to god that they are good when not bitter. You'll just have to hop on over to my house and I'll make them for you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea with the collard greens -- the longer they cook, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for stopping by my site, I've been meaning to catalog my receipes online for a while. Not that I'm much of a cooker but I adore the kitchen. Your site looks fabulous and the food looks yumm. I'll have to give a few of these receipes a go. And your local to me to boot, score.

    Cheers,
    -Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made veggie lasagna. It sounds good though. I think I would stick with the spinach, it's tried and true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy that looks so good! you know i love that food! and with vegies!<3 Jill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...