My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

French Toast and Cake

I had the honor of testing another recipe for Catherine. This time it was French Toast. Since I had the whole Ener-G vs. egg experiment the other night, I figured I would be able to make both the regular and vegan versions for her.

Both versions were yummy! I topped them with Cool Whip, raspberries and maple syrup. Yeah, I know - Cool Whip does not = vegan, but it was still good. The French Toast gives a little sweetness kick due to Catherine's combo of ingredients. Worth trying when the cookbook comes out!
















While I was in my Chicago meetings, my friend, Pat, gave me an alternate instructions for Angel Food Cake and I tried it this weekend. Basically, you take a box of angel food cake and omit the water. Instead, dump a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapples in and mix away. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 mintues and voila! A great cake is born. Seriously, this stuff is addicting and fluffy and moist - mmmm!


















Not sure if anyone else does this, but when I'm mixing the batter, I have to at least try it. With regular angel food cake, the batter is kinda gross. Not the case with Pineapple Angel Food Cake! The batter is great. Try it for yourself.

12 comments:

  1. I always taste cookie dough! hehe Oh..btw, I'm actually "In technology"...I do systems analysis/JAVA development for a financial institution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful slow morning kind of breakfast! Yum. I love berry anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff: A-HA. I figured you weren't just studying SAP for nothin!

    Dori: Today Ryan woke me up to tell me breakfast was almost ready - what a nice surprise!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...busted, however, I'm trying to be less geeky every day! Even switched my major to Entrepreneurship!! Maybe do my photo stuff full time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try the dough. In fact, I think that may be my favorite part as I don't usually eat much of it after it is baked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The French toast looks scrumptious. Can't wait until Catherine's book comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made angel food cake, I always just buy it pre-made, but with this tip I'm very tempted. I heart pineapple.
    Also, I still need to make the recipe you sent me! Perhaps I'll get around to that in a couple weeks when it's not so hot out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yumm... the french toast looks great.. I love that there are vegan versions of it.. because even before I was vegan, I wouldn't eat eggs...

    I can't wait to try it out on my husband/kids and not tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Melody, above here! And oy, i'm in heaven looking at the photos. SUCH GREAT FOOD!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm. French toast. I have not yet tried any of the many recipes I've seen for vegan french toast, only because I never have any bread to use. You pic looks delicious.

    I always try my batters nowadays, before cooking. Don't have to worry about it with no eggs or such. ;) The AF cake with pineapple sounds scrumptious. :)

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the cake looks so fluffy and yummy
    i need to try that
    :)

    teddy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That all looks so good everytime i look at you alls page it makes me hungry! <3 Jill

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...