My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, July 3, 2006

2nd Crop Share is Here!

Yeah! Our crop share is here again. Since we only have a half share, we get a full share every other week.

Since I'm heading to Atlanta for 5 days, I decided it would be best to split the share with Ryan's mom this time around. I know she'll get good use out of the veggies and then our half won't go bad by the time we can eat them.

















Here is what we received this time:

Blue Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Swiss Chard
Romaine Lettuce
Snow and Sugar Snap Peas
Beets
Baby Shallots
Basil
Zucchini

I have no clue what to do with beets - any suggestions??

I'm taking some of the carrots and peas with me for a snack on the plane (you know those cheap airlines never give you snacks anymore!).

Happy 4th of July!! Enjoy your weekend of grilling, friends, family and fireworks!!

11 comments:

  1. I'm already at work eating up my portion of the crop share. I'm going to try Candi's suggestion for the beets. She told me on Saturday at yoga to boil them in water like you would potatos and then to put butter and salt on them. Of course, I'll skip the butter and salt. I'll try some fresh herbs first and see how they are and go from there. The carrots were gone immediately, and the snap peas are superb for snacking. Have a fun July 4th. I hope Ryan gets the day off so you can both enjoy it!

    Love You Both,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try your Paella one of these days.

    Have a great 4th, Crystal! Hope you and Ryan are having fun in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' good there! Have a safe week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roasted beets are delicious in a marinade of fresh OJ, thyme, red onion, olive oil and a bit of dijon mustard. Also, don't forget the beet tops.. cook them as you would chard. Delicious.
    You could also roast the beets and make borscht.. chilled with either silken tofu or yogurt, dill, shallot.. but I really prefer the marinated beets..

    Food Snob has a beet recipe in her blog for beets that looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it must be exciting what all that shows up at your door!

    Sorry - no ideas for beets. I've never cooked with them.

    Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beet salad I made is VERY good, and can be made with either gold or red beets -- red beets are just messier. :) Enjoy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Melody's suggestion. I roast beets in OJ, thyme, garlic...mmmmm good! I've also got a good recipe for sweet and sour beets done as a casserole. Those are a big hit at my house. Beets tend to keep for a while, so if you'd like the recipe, I can e-mail it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not tried beets yet. but a few of the ideas that i have been tossing around are beet risotto and beet fries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made a great Iraqi beet soup. Bryanna Grogran has some great ideas to do, check out the link below.
    http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1466680.htm#september27

    If you boil them, leave the tap root on it, it won't bleed as bad.

    I also love to can beets.

    Here is my favorite pickled beets recipe.
    http://thebakehouse.blogspot.com/2006/03/beets-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh you and Ryan sure do get alot of food from that crop share! the food looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...