My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, June 1, 2006

What's Left?

We are nearing another grocery shopping trip, so it was time to use up some stuff before it went bad. We decided to grill outdoors last night, which allowed us to use up the last of the pork in our freezer, our wilting potatoes, and the rest of our asparagus that was also nearing the end.

I(Ryan) used a pre-made marinade for the pork that has been in our cupboard for many months. We are trying to use up the products that we believe we can make healthier ourselves. We have been using more fresh ingredients in our meals and trying to eat healthier, so using up these products could be somewhat of a long process. We have collected quite a bit of these types of products since moving into our place three years ago.

I steamed the asparagus for about 4 minutes before putting it on the grill. The asparagus then cooks on the grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until the tips are slightly charred. I have overcooked asparagus on the grill before which means it is either too charred (tastes like charcoal) or too “stringy,” so be cautious and keep an eye on it.

The texture of the potatoes was a little gooey because of the “last days” status they were in to begin with. But overall, the meal was a success. Tonight we are going with Italian dunkers, which will be an easy meal to prepare before I get a haircut and Crystal gets a facial at EQ Life.

Only two weeks until our first crop share arrives from Loon Organics Farm! I can't wait to find out exactly what we will get and then plan meals accordingly.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you get from Loon Organics. It must be family day at EQ Life, since Rachel's working, I'm getting a cut (by Kate also) and color, and you both will be there later.

    Love You Both!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I will have to check out those links, Crystal!

    Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    I found Yellow Papaya Juice at my local herbs store. It's Lakewood Brand and the company is based in Miami Florida. Hope that helps.

    Oh! I'm linking you, today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post BABE! Thanks for dinner and for taking care of the post :)

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had so much fun seeing you two at my work! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane - total family day at EQ Life. I hear Rachel was busy when you were there earlier, but she was able to spend plenty of time with us (well, with Ryan since his haircut only took 15 min and my facial was an hour)

    Harmonia - Thanks for linking to us - we appreciate it!! (so exciting for us new bloggers) I totally have to be on the lookout for the Yellow Papaya Juice - thanks for the tip.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...