My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Weekend Herb Blogging with Garlic Scapes




In participation of Weekend Herb Blogging at Kalyn's Kitchen, I am writing about garlic scapes. We received a bunch of garlic scapes in our crop share on Thursday and I was eager to use them.

















As I love pizza and had a pizza crust on hand, I created Spinach and Garlic Scapes Pizza. It was awesome! I sauteed some chopped garlic scapes in olive oil, added spinach and other greens from our spring mix and reduced those down. The mixture was spread across a pizza crust and topped with mozzarella cheese. Here's the recipe:


Spinach and Garlic Scapes Pizza
(4 servings)

1 pizza dough (12-inches round)
6 garlic scapes
1-2 tbsp olive oil
½ lb. spinach or other greens
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
4 dashes hot sauce
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, fresh and thinly sliced
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, fresh and grated

Preheat oven to 475°. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Chop garlic scapes thinly and add to heated skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and chopped or thinly sliced greens and cook for 5 minutes or until greens are wilted. Add hot sauce.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pizza dough into a 12-inch round crust onto a preheated pizza stone or pizza pan. Spoon greens mixture onto dough; spread ½-inch from edges. Slice fresh mozzarella cheese and place on top of greens. Grate Parmesan cheese over entire pizza. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Slice fresh basil into thin strips and sprinkle over cooked pizza.

















Watch for more crop share recipes to be posted - with the overabundance of lettuce at our house, we made lettuce wraps with snow peas, garlic scapes and fresh lettuce. We'll post about that soon...right now, it's off to Father's Day festivities!

9 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMM! What will you put on your pizza tonight at mom and dad's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to WHB! I love the sound of this. Yours is the fourth entry this week for garlic scapes, so I guess The Chocolate Lady started a trend last week when she introduced them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make your own pizza crust?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No...we haven't ventured into that yet. We use Trader Joe's crust, which is premade and ready to go. Alton Brown taught us how to streach it out correctly.

    We got hooked the dough by our friends in D.C. Crystal first bought some in MN when Trader Joe's opened earlier this year.

    Check out the May 19 post.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, what a great night with you kids. The pizza was fantastic, and I loved the laughter and conversation in the house. I feel extra blessed - having such a nice, loving, fun family.
    And dad says, "I had a wonderful time. Thanks for making my Father's Day extra special!"

    Love You Tons!

    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi C! Herb blogging? Neat!

    I will be skipping town for about a week...I will be back blogging next week...will tomorrow before I leave too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pizza looks awesome! btw: I just saw some lettuce wrap recipes in Sunset Magazine that look wonderful ~ under the heading "food trend" ~ & now I see talk of it here...very trendy indeed. :)

    You really know your veggies ~ you're the only one to make the call on the rutabaga!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those garlic scapes creep me out. They look like some sort of sea snake. {{shudders}} I've heard they are very tasty, but I don't think i could bring myself to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane - pizza night was fun! Too bad it was on a work night, but all worth it. Let me know when you get another convertible and I'll be right over :)

    Harmonia - you'll be missed; have a great time!

    Vicki - no way, I was right? That rocks...wait...I ROCK! I'll be putting up the lettuce wraps post soon.

    Carrie - too funny! The garlic scapes don't move on their own, so I think you're safe :) They are tasty - kinda like eating a green pepper just in a different shape. They also pack a spicy punch.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...