My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Veggie Lo Mein & Caramelized Tofu

We made a quick and easy dinner last night of Vegetable Lo Mein and Caramelized Tofu. The Vegetable Lo Mein was from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas and the Caramelized Tofu was from VeganLunchBox (thanks for the tips!). This is the first time I’ve used Soba noodles and they were awesome!! They only need to cook for a few minutes and are suitable for a variety of toppings like peanut sauce, soy sauce, and even a marinara sauce.


This meal was another first; cooking tofu for dinner! I’ve used tofu in many desserts in the past, but never in a main meal. I pressed most of the liquid out of the tofu and cut it in half lengthwise. I wish I would have cut it in half again because the patties turned out to be too thick and not cooked inside. To still save the tofu, I cut off the outside crispy parts and diced those up for the Lo Mein.

I will definitely be making this again and perhaps throw in some other ingredients. After chopping everything up, it only took a few minutes to cook and were on our plates in no time.

12 comments:

  1. Crystal-

    Dinner was very good last night! I love all the food we are trying and the ideas we are getting from other people.

    I love you!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cystal ~ Awesome! I am always looking for more tofu ideas and tips! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a package of soba noodles in my cupboard waiting for me to try them. I was worried...but now I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time cooking with tofu can be a little disappointing. It helps to watch someone who has been around it for a while. My first time was a complete disaster.

    There are all sorts of tricks to get it to do what you want - and it can do lots of things. There's pressing, baking, frying, deep-frying, freezing, breading, crumbling, slicing, dicing, and julienning. OK, that last one was a joke.

    Freezing is probably one of the neatest things to do. It completely changes the texture. Freeze firm tofu and it makes it very chewy. Freeze silken tofu and the texture is like scrambled eggs - great in stir-fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harmonia - glad I could help!

    Megan - you will be just fine with the Soba noodles, I wish I would have bought a couple packages. Not that I need 2, it's just my hoarding nature ;)

    Taylor - thanks for the tips - haha - I'm sure someone has julienned it somewhere. I will def. try freezing it sometime. I think I'm getting more used to tofu, but not quite a "lover" yet!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww!!! That is such a sweet message Ryan left for Crystal. Very nice!

    Carmelizing food is one of my fave things to do, onions in particular. I have never tried that with tofu but i shall now. THANK YOU!!!

    And i'm glad i was able to get you in touch with some vegan W'shire sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay - you're going to have to have us over for some of these recipes. I wouldn't even know where to start with tofu, so I'm going to need your help. I'll observe and eat!!!

    Love You Both,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lo Mein! With carmelized tofu...yummy! Once you get the hang of tofu, you'll find it very versatile. Try freezing it and see how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great.. we love lo mein and tofu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought more soba noodles, I'm looking forward to cooking some of this up.

    I'm going to add you to my blog read page with your ok?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kleopatra - yes, Ryan is very sweet :) I'm glad I could be of help with the tofu suggestion - now maybe you could caramelize both together!

    Diane - Yeah, I'll have to come over and coach you on it, but it's pretty easy so you'll get the hang of it quickly. I'm not too sure Ron or Rachel will dig the tofu, but you never know.

    Carrie - I definitely have to try freezing it now since it seems to be popular! That will be my next tofu task

    Melody & Catherine - Yes! Yum! I still have leftovers for lunch today, so I'm excited.

    Dori - I'll check out what you make with the soba noodles and YES, we'd love for you to link us! Hopefully you're getting some more freetime - your class is winding up right?

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...