My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Saturday, June 3, 2006

Tortilla Soup

Friday Night! Last night we planned to go out and have a few drinks with my sister and decided to make a tortilla soup recipe from The Real Food Daily cookbook before we headed out. This was my first attempt at tortilla soup and the recipe turned out to be a good one.

I began prepping while Crystal laid down for a nap after a tiring week. Crystal's nap only lasted about ten minutes, and I had only just finished chopping the onion when her dad came rolling in unexpectedly on his new motorcycle. My sister called shortly before to see if she could join us for dinner and showed up at the same time as Crystal's dad; we were now close to hosting a full on dinner party! Crystal chatted with her dad and showed him our herbs and peppers while I continued to prepare dinner and caught up on life events with my little sis. The soup prep began with:

*onions
*garlic
*jalapeño
*soy sauce(tamari substitute)
*cumin
*salt

*oregano
*black pepper

*tomatoes
*tomato paste



I sautéed the onions and garlic for about six minutes, then added the jalapeño and spice mixture, and sautéed another minute longer. Next in was the vegetable stock, tomatoes, and tomato paste. This all simmered for ten minutes before adding some corn tortillas and then the soup cooked for ten minutes longer. Once the tortillas began to fall apart, I removed the soup from the heat, blended it up in batches, and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.

I also made the crispy tortilla strips recipe from the same cookbook. They were seasoned with chili powder, brown sugar, and salt. They were the perfect crispy item to add to this soup. The meal turned out delicious for Crystal, Rachel, and myself. We ate it up, invited a few people over for another drink, and later headed out for to meet up with Rachel's boyfriend and some other people we know. It was a very fun night and I would definitely make this soup again.

3 comments:

  1. I bought a new book...blogged about it actually...but also noticed that it included a recipe for Tortilla soup! I can't wait to try it! Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you kids get together!!!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harmonia - I'll have to be on the lookout for your post. We love tortilla soups, but I think this is our first attempt at one.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...