My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, June 23, 2006

Tempeh Reubens and TLT's

Tuesday night I felt the need to make a bunch of stuff. I worked from home so I didn't have the crappy commute to deal with and had extra time. I made up three dry packets of Easy Vegan Pancakes so they would be ready to go when we need to use them. I also made another double batch of granola for the next couple weeks.

I also made some Cranberry Citrus Oatmeal Cookies to freeze for later. It called for the zest of 3 oranges (supposed to be Cranberry Orange Cookies), but I didn't have oranges...but I did have a mix of orange, lemon and lime zest saved in the freezer (hence, Citrus Cookies). Finally, I knew that frozen zest would come in handy!

For dinner, I've been wanting to make Tempeh Reubens for quite some time. I used the recipe from VwaV and I thought it tasted a bit plain so I added some Dijon mustard. I didn't have capers (well, I did, but I think they've been in the fridge a bit too long, so I didn't dare use them). Everything turned out very well - I just LOVED the sandwich. I also loved the addition of pickle slices - that's the way the German delis sell them. The tempeh was perfect - so much better than corned beef for sure.















I had 8 oz. of tempeh, so I made 2 Reubens and had 4 oz. left over. Ryan wouldn't come close to a pickle or sauerkraut – no Reuben for him! So I added some liquid smoke to the remaining tempeh slices. When Ryan came home, I whipped up two TLT's (Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato) for him. I just used my typical BLT recipe - cream cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato and tempeh with liquid smoke instead of the bacon. Ryan also liked his sandwich...his only hesitancy was the bread. He's not a lover of rye bread yet, but thought it was okay.















We both have a sandwich left over - yum!

10 comments:

  1. did you use the tempeh bacon recipe from VWAV? I keep meaning to try that- in fact I even bought the liquid smoke to do it and yet.....perhaps I'll make it this weekend! I really want to make sandwiches with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - nope, didn't use the tempeh bacon recipe, but I did have the liquid smoke because I also want to try it sometime. I already had the tempeh marinating for my sandwich...then realized Ryan wouldn't want a Reuben, so I had to switch it up a bit.

    Let me know how it turns out if you do make it!

    I'll be sending that other recipe to your e-mail later tonight. I don't have it on my work computer.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rueben looks much better than that crappy one I bought a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the recipe for that sandwich a couple of times and have been so tempted to give it a try. My husband likes that sort of thing and I'm just into sandwiches. The pictures look really good; both of them. I guess I'll be giving this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious... well, both of them do.. but the reuben.. one of my favorite foods ever (I've never had a meat one)..
    I wish I could teleport it to me right now!

    I love that you freeze the zest.. I do that too.. it really comes in handy! Don't you love cooking ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay . . . once again, I'm guessing, but I'm not sure. Is tempeh fish? It kind of looks like it from the pictures, but you never know!!

    Hope you had fun strawberry picking!

    Love You,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. No mom, tempeh is not fish ;) Tempeh is a high-protein food made from partially cooked, fermented soybeans. Scientific enough?

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Both sandwiches look really good. I'm not sure that I have ever had a ruebun?!? I'll have to try one. Ryan- we will miss you while you are in Atlanta! Take pictures to post for us all. Love you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm both sammies look great. I'm not a fan of sauercraut either, but all the other ingredients look like gold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Ryan! You learn something new every day!

    Love You,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...