My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Spicy Lettuce Wraps

As you know, we have a ton of lettuce and need to continue to use it up. So, we thought we should make lettuce wraps! The recipe was based on something I saw in Health magazine years ago and we just used what we had on hand. We also used up some frozen chicken that's been in our freezer for awhile. We are trying to eventually use up all the meats in the freezer so if we want any meat products, we'll have to go buy them.

I marinated the chicken in some soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and sake. The chicken could easily be omitted here or marinade some tempeh or tofu instead. I'll have to try that sometime.




















The ingredients in the lettuce wraps were: water chestnuts, garlic scapes (of course), some green tops from an onion plant, red pepper flakes, garlic, hot sauce, radishes and snow peas. They were stir-fried in a sauce similar to the marinade and served on lettuce wraps. Boy were they spicy!





















The only thing I would change about this recipe would be the spice level and I'd tone it down just a little bit. Otherwise, they were great!

6 comments:

  1. I love all excuses to use water chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lettuce wraps, but have never made them at home. I'll have to try to whip some up some time.
    I used some of my snow peas that you gave me on my salad last night. And I think I will sautee some garlic scapes tonight and add them to my leftover cottage cheese, spinach and pasta sauce lasagna rolls. Should be a nice added flavor!

    Love You,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - yeah for water chesnuts! I wasn't really a fan a few years back, but they've grown on me.

    Diane - I'll e-mail you the lettuce wraps recipe we used as a baseline. You can add/subtract/halve as you want.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good use of lettuce. I'm hungry now. Off to roll something up in lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lettuce wraps are delicious. You know what? I'm allergic to some sort of sauce..I don't know..I had Pho one time and started to break out..next time it happens I'll know for sure what it is. Good to see that you are making good use of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor- thanks, we thought it was a good use too...still have a bunch more to go!

    Yogi - bummer about the allergy...maybe it's in the spice or something. I hope you can figure it out so you can enjoy stuff like this. Thanks for stopping by!

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...